Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Help Please - MAP Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please - MAP Sensor

Hi All.

I have bee trolling the net for days, i cannot find the answer i'm looking for on my own.

14 plate A6 2.0d - S line black edition has developed a limp mode status, with the engine and coil light on, TPMS was on now cleared, Start/stop function unavailable, so i took it to a mate with Vagcom, un clearable error on the Manifold pressure sensor also can be known as this the MAP sensor, however i cannot find the location of this sensor in the engine bay, searching the net provides nothing for this model as far as i can see. There is only a certain length of pipe it can be on, from the airbox to the inlet manifold/throttle body there is approx 3 feet of pipe half of which is rubber the other rigid plastic so it has to be on that section, it is tucked in behind the engine block and the bulkhead so visibility and access is restricted but what i can feel it does not appear to be located on this section.

Happy to dig around in the engine bay but was hoping for a step for a hint in which corner to look if it is indeed on this section of pipe or somewhere else don't want to start stripping the engine needlessly..

Any body know where this sensor may be? any help advise or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did a quick search and found this thread which seems like a similar issue you have. It looks like they linked pics it but I didn't join to view them so maybe try and sign up to either view or ask them 👍 Audi A6 boost issue
Old 05-23-2020, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi There,

Yes seen this post but it was for a DPF sensor which is sitting proud in the engine bay, im having issues with the MAP sensor as error coded on the Vagcom problem is that i cannot find any reference or material to where the dam sensor is on the car.

Thanks for the response though.

Cheers
Old 05-23-2020, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i have never seen the 2.0d, Id imagine this is not a US made car?, but I have never seen a MAP sensor on flexible hose. it would need to be mounted post turbo so it can see a possible overboost issue. it couldnt do that if mounted on the hose pre-turbo thats where the MAF would live. id start by taking a good look on the manifold first.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Got_boost
i have never seen the 2.0d, Id imagine this is not a US made car?, but I have never seen a MAP sensor on flexible hose. it would need to be mounted post turbo so it can see a possible overboost issue. it couldnt do that if mounted on the hose pre-turbo thats where the MAF would live. id start by taking a good look on the manifold first.
Yeah its a UK car, ill just need to get my head in deep under the bonnet and have a good old search when the weather dries up, trouble is i have read on the older C6 and C5 (i did have a C5) the MAP sensor was said to be under the passenger headlight unit, how true this is im not sure, trouble with modern cars there aint much room in the engine bay to have a good look about.

Cheers James
Old 05-24-2020, 04:44 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Do you know the engine code? CMGB ?
Just a guess but it looks like it is in the hard pipe after the hose connected to the throttle body, but before the intercooler.
It is not very larger so may be hard to see, but they usually all look like this.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gk1
Do you know the engine code? CMGB ?
Just a guess but it looks like it is in the hard pipe after the hose connected to the throttle body, but before the intercooler.
It is not very larger so may be hard to see, but they usually all look like this.
Hi There,

Engine code i believe is CNHA. details attached if it works.

You image also does not show so no idea what you have attached.

Cheers James
Old 05-24-2020, 10:12 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mister jimmy
Hi There,

Engine code i believe is CNHA. details attached if it works.

You image also does not show so no idea what you have attached.

Cheers James
Perfect.

I am not sure why the picture does not work for you. It is just a picture of a standard MAP sensor used on many Audis from ECS.
https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/1032903_x800.webp

In your case the boost pressure sensor looks like it is off of a small hose connected to the intake manifold/intercooler union. The hose appears to come off of just above the throttle body.
04L906051C superseded to 04L906051K
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ns/04l906051k/

Old 05-24-2020, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gk1
Perfect.

I am not sure why the picture does not work for you. It is just a picture of a standard MAP sensor used on many Audis from ECS.
https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/1032903_x800.webp

In your case the boost pressure sensor looks like it is off of a small hose connected to the intake manifold/intercooler union. The hose appears to come off of just above the throttle body.
04L906051C superseded to 04L906051K
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ns/04l906051k/
Yeah i seen the image you attached on my mobile, its just not loading on my macbok.

All sorted now i managed to get a copy of the audi workshop manual and process of elimination found out that it does not have a typical MAP sensor like you attached, in the audi manual its called a "change pressure sender G31" this i thought was the correct sensor two days ago when i was told it was the PDF sensor. so after a lot of trolling i found the attached.

Item 10 - Change pressure sender (aka MAP sensor)
Item 7 - PDF sensor

another exploded view - item 20 this time

Change pressure sender - (MAP Sensor) in the car as it is, albeit the code you see is the support arm i think.

The sensor off the car, literally 1min to remove, i wonder how much audi would charge?
Sensor prt number 04L.906.051.C i paid £58 delivered should have it in a day or two.

Where i ordered it from and coincidently it is called a MAP sensor on this particular site.

All in thanks for your help, i did manage to get there myself however you have also found the same info, so not a loss for anyone else who may need info on the same issue.

Cheers mate.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:48 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Nice, good find.
I probably would have went with the newer superseded part 04L906051K but that's me.
It looks like it is $121 msrp ~£99 so I guess you got a pretty good deal. (Seen it as low as $85US ~£70 online)
Dealer probably would charge you an hour labor minimum.

Quick Reply: Help Please - MAP Sensor