Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Jacks, lifts, stands...add your 2 cents

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacks, lifts, stands...add your 2 cents

Would love to hear about any special lifting methods for your home garage other than just a jack and a stand (unless its a really special jack and stand). This is for a secure lift to hammer off rotors.

While researching jack stand points for changing my rotors, i found these Jack+Jack stand in 1 for $40 I don't think they are short enough though.
Amazon Amazon

At the link above, if you go to the 2-ton low profile, it claims to come with a bar that goes under when at the max height...its not pictured and i wonder how reliable.

I've seen the posts about jacking at the points and putting stands under the control arm ends but my jack stands are too high to get under there and i think it may fall off the jack stands while swinging the sledge hammer to knock off the rotors.

I even have the audi service manual and it doesn't mention where jack stands points are. perhaps they left at the point points with a shop hoist and put stands under the host points are their hoists have safety mechanisms.

Anyone have anything like this?
Amazon Amazon
Thanks
Old 06-29-2018, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is one possibility. I have not tried them but some folks love them.

Home
Old 06-29-2018, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great ideas! I love those but they are pricey.
You don't think this will do the job? Could always make things higher.
I felt I could torque under the car pretty safely with this.
Hope you don't hit your rotors that hard to get them off the hub!
Old 06-29-2018, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've also been thinking of a way to get all 4 wheels off the ground. How about OLI77's method to get the front or rear on regular jack stands then 2 of those all-in-one bottle jack and jack stands to get the other end off the ground? The ground clearance will be a little bit higher once one end is off the ground to insert the all-in-one jack/stands.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is on my wish list:

MaxJax Portable 2-Post Lift
Old 07-02-2018, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by saadcee
This is on my wish list:

MaxJax Portable 2-Post Lift
i would love some sort of 2 post car lift as well! It would be great to drive in, swing the arms out and up she goes. I wonder how reasonable it is to unbolt and move cause i'd want it bolted down, but it will get in the way of my wife's car door.

They are not cheap! then ago do i want to go budget on something holding a car over me?
Old 07-02-2018, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by OLI77
Great ideas! I love those but they are pricey.
You don't think this will do the job? Could always make things higher.
I felt I could torque under the car pretty safely with this.
Hope you don't hit your rotors that hard to get them off the hub!
It is an interesting method and kudos if it got the job done. my holdups:
1) I want all 4 wheels off the ground and yours really only works for the front, or maybe rear, but not all 4 at once. I never stated this but that would be ideal.
2) once you have the fronts up, how do you get the backs up only with the jacking points?
3) The jack i have does not jack the car up high enough from 1 jack pad to place either jack stands i have under the other jackpad on the same side. Its also unnerving having the car balancing like that. 1 entire side up, on 1 jack. I was susprised that works for you cause it doesn't seem to for me
4) In the 3.0 picture of the car on the wooden block on the stand....it does not "look" stable. It looks like the wood is about to slide right off that nice and smooth powder coated jack stand, for which its in contact with less than 1/3 the surface area of the peice of wood...and on top of that, i think all the weight of the car is actually in the center of the piece of wood (based on what it looks like behind the plastic.)
5) From when i replaced my rotors on my GS400 and it took a 10lb sledge for a few minutes. I would not trust taking rotors off with your setup, not which how i drive
Old 07-02-2018, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Here is one possibility. I have not tried them but some folks love them.

Home
those look great! and what an idea! you could prob get away with just 1 and do a wheel at a time or jack up all 4.

Only downside is it would be to get all 4 off the ground its $1500 after everything and you can almost get a 2 post lift that should take less time to jack up and down, lift higher, but take up more space.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-02-2018, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I just bought a quickjack. https://www.quickjack.com/ Pros are all 4 wheels are off the ground and the stands are out of the way for working on the drivetrain. Cons are the expense and for me, it would be good to store them under the car and just drive over them when I park but I don't want them on the ground when the car isn't there so they are a bit cumbersome to move around and store them upright (which is what I do).
Old 07-03-2018, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audible_Red
It is an interesting method and kudos if it got the job done. my holdups:
1) I want all 4 wheels off the ground and yours really only works for the front, or maybe rear, but not all 4 at once. I never stated this but that would be ideal.
2) once you have the fronts up, how do you get the backs up only with the jacking points?
3) The jack i have does not jack the car up high enough from 1 jack pad to place either jack stands i have under the other jackpad on the same side. Its also unnerving having the car balancing like that. 1 entire side up, on 1 jack. I was susprised that works for you cause it doesn't seem to for me
4) In the 3.0 picture of the car on the wooden block on the stand....it does not "look" stable. It looks like the wood is about to slide right off that nice and smooth powder coated jack stand, for which its in contact with less than 1/3 the surface area of the peice of wood...and on top of that, i think all the weight of the car is actually in the center of the piece of wood (based on what it looks like behind the plastic.)
5) From when i replaced my rotors on my GS400 and it took a 10lb sledge for a few minutes. I would not trust taking rotors off with your setup, not which how i drive
1 and 2 are the same and indeed an issue unless you can find a rail/ frame, or even better, a center point in the rear to lift it once the front is on stands. I am still looking for this under the car as it appears the rear differential is not a preferred spot (yet ideal). This is how I do it on the E46, raise the front on stands under the frame, lift under the differential, boom, all 4 in the air.
3, yes hydraulic jack needs good travel and weight bearing capability. The one I use is only rated for 1.5 tons. Enough to lift ~ half the car 12-14 inches.
4, actually it was very stable. There is no way the piece of wood can move forward of back because as seen in the last picture, there are little "lips" on the jack stand to prevent that from happening. The wood could move side to side but with the weight of about 1/4 of the car on it, it is pretty much stuck here. But you are right and I will add a thin layer of rubber to prevent that from possibly happening in the future. I think that the original manual jack that fits in the jack pad is only 2 inches wide at most. The wood insert I place in that pad is 3 inches wide and fills the area completely. The weight of 1/4 of the car is then distributed on the jack stand. Believe me, I would prefer to put that jack stand on the rail or frame of the car. No dice with all that underbody molding.

Quick Reply: Jacks, lifts, stands...add your 2 cents