Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

My 5000 mile service and issues addressed

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Awesome if it worked properly which it doesn't. Want to have your trunk lid popping open without intervention?
haha well when you put it like that.... no that doesnt sound good at all.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up my 2013, it is fresh off the boat (landed in the US on 10-27-12. There is NO mention in the owner's manual of this feature. Is it mentioned in your manual?
Old 11-09-2012, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Grapeking
I just picked up my 2013, it is fresh off the boat (landed in the US on 10-27-12. There is NO mention in the owner's manual of this feature. Is it mentioned in your manual?
No. I discovered it by accident when the trunk lid opened on its own and then after I started playing with my foot under the bumper on a hunch.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

How odd. I will mess around tomorrow and see if I can activate it on mine. You didn't trigger something via Vag-Com, did you?
BTW, where in MA are you? Moved away a bit over a year ago.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I can't figure out why anyone is interested in trying to activate the hands free trunk right now. I explained the problems with the system and why Audi has advised dealers to disable it on the early build 2013 A6's and they have since apparently disabled this 2013 model feature from the factory due to the problems including the trunk opening at will. So why, oh why, would anyone want this activated? It's like "I know this is bad for me but I want to see if I can try it anyway". Why not wait for a fix? Sorry guys, I don't get it.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry, did not mean to exasperate you. I fully understand what you're saying....I'm just intrigued to see if it's there or not. That's all. Believe me, if it doesn't work properly, it will be shut off as the last thing I want is my car parked at Newark airport with the trunk open (as one example...). So it's more just a curiosity factor for me, nothing more.
Again, sorry to have gotten you worked up.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm not really worked up, just puzzled with so many other cool things to tweak with Vag-Com why some would want to activate a known defective system. I was only trying alert my A6 brethren to the issue and some want to try and activate it anyway. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it. I guess I get it though - for some of us Vag-Com fans, even though it's reported not to work properly, the allure is just too strong. But, hey, go for it.

If you do have the sensor and there's a Vag option, just be prepared to have fun playing around with your foot.

You put your left foot in,
You put your left foot out,
You put your left foot in,
And you shake it all about.
You do the Hokey Pokey
And you turn yourself around,
That's what it's all about.

Last edited by snagitseven; 11-09-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Snag it... since nobody else has heard about this feature, is it a possibility that the problem is just with you and your car?? If I activated it in mine, it might work perfectly fine, maybe?? So that's why people might be interested in it.

I mean others have had issues with the electronics of the car to where they needed a service bulletin to get it fixed, so it's a possibility.

You and I both know there are lots of extras hidden in the Vag-Coms of these cars.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Rush2112
Snag it... since nobody else has heard about this feature, is it a possibility that the problem is just with you and your car?? If I activated it in mine, it might work perfectly fine, maybe?? So that's why people might be interested in it.

I mean others have had issues with the electronics of the car to where they needed a service bulletin to get it fixed, so it's a possibility.

You and I both know there are lots of extras hidden in the Vag-Coms of these cars.

My best guess on this is Audi includes/included the hands free trunk sensor on 2013 Prestige models perhaps as a late decision after the manuals were printed. They then shipped the first batch of 2013's with the sensor enabled but discovered pretty quickly that it wasn't working properly and disabled (or stopped installing) the sensor in the Convenience Control Module on subsequent builds. They also advised dealers to deactivate the feature via an SVM 55H4 which was done on my car. I recall in previous posts there was at least one other early 2013 A6 Prestige that had this enabled as well. (Nyuni?)

After the module update, my remote window/sunroof mod was also disabled (I've since Vagged it again) which indicates to me that the SVM disabled the code for the hands free trunk by rewriting the entire module. So, while I didn't have time to poke around, there could be a flag setting in the 46 Module somewhere that addresses it or it could be you need to know the long coding. The question is whether Audi just disabled the operation in subsequent builds or stopped installing the sensor after the first production run. All conjecture.

In any case, for me, it didn't work worth a crap at this point and I'm glad it's disabled. I still have at least two or three other ways to open the trunk.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I recall in previous posts there was at least one other early 2013 A6 Prestige that had this enabled as well. (Nyuni?)
Nope. Mine never did it no matter how much I tried. Since mine was a later build than yours I'm assuming it came disabled from the factory. I'm sure I could prove this with VCDS, but what exactly would I be looking for under the Convenience module to indicate that? Is there a glaring bit in the coding for 'trunk sensor feature' or something?