Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

My heated steering wheel is not so hot

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My heated steering wheel is not so hot

My first winter in the A6 with winter package. Steering wheel takes a bit of time to warm up and when it does, it doesn't get very hot. And, once it gets warm, it seems to shut off and get cool. My former BMW X5 steering wheel got hot very quickly and stayed that way. Just the way it is or something wrong with it?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gator Neil
My first winter in the A6 with winter package. Steering wheel takes a bit of time to warm up and when it does, it doesn't get very hot. And, once it gets warm, it seems to shut off and get cool. My former BMW X5 steering wheel got hot very quickly and stayed that way. Just the way it is or something wrong with it?
My A7 wheel heats up quickly to the perfect temperature.

Yes, the heated wheel starts to cool down after the car warms to set interior temperature.

I love this feature! Set it and forget it.

Apparently you do not.

Last edited by looking@audi; 01-07-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is the same way. I just thought this was how it worked. Sometimes it seems like its not even hot!

Originally Posted by Gator Neil
Old 01-07-2013, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with you on this OP.
My steering wheel doesn't become very warm either.
It just warms up barely enough so it doesn't feel cold, and once inside the car warms up, the temperature on the steering wheel declines further down.

From what I've heard & read, the heated steering wheal feature on the A6 doesn't make the steering wheel "hot", but rather makes it mildly warm, which is quite a bit weaker compared to other manufacturers' heated steering wheels.

Not sure why Audi made it this way...I think the heat effect is way too subtle, and I'm pretty disappointed.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by looking@audi
My A7 wheel heats up quickly to the perfect temperature.

Yes, the heated wheel starts to cool down after the car warms to set interior temperature.

I love this feature! Set it and forget it.
Make that two. I like it this way as well but I can see how some people might not. Sounds like it needs a setting in MMI.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same issue here with 2013 Prestige. I've noticed that it's warmer around the center where the stitching comes together. Otherwise, it doesn't get toasty like other vehicles I've owned with steering wheel heater (Subaru Outback, Porsche Cayenne)
Old 01-07-2013, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by thrashx
Otherwise, it doesn't get toasty like other vehicles I've owned with steering wheel heater (Subaru Outback, Porsche Cayenne)
There could be a different between the A6 and A7 heated steering wheel - there could be a variation between cars within the same model - or there could be a "Goldilocks" issue - but my A7 gets toasty warm.

In fact, I like the heated steering wheel so much that I actually posted a thread in the A7 forum.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2839470
Old 01-07-2013, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Could be mental but I find the wheel gets hotter faster in relation to the level of my heated seat. I love this wheel. My wife's pathfinder has a heated wheel that gets so hot you have to wear gloves or turn it off. You turn it off than the wheel cools down. Than you turn it back on. Vicious circle. This is constant and comfortable.

As for the a7 and a6. I am pretty sure they are the same. I had an a7 for a week recently and the wheele felt identical to my a6.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

I notice that the warmest spots are by the wheel spokes (sport wheel). I'm fine with the temp. Gets warm enough when the car is cold inside and gradually matches to the inside temp as the car warms up. The design seems right to me - I wouldn't want the wheel to remain hot but just a tinge of warmth is fine for me once the interior warms up. It works just like my wife's 2002 allroad.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I notice that the warmest spots are by the wheel spokes (sport wheel). I'm fine with the temp. Gets warm enough when the car is cold inside and gradually matches to the inside temp as the car warms up. The design seems right to me - I wouldn't want the wheel to remain hot but just a tinge of warmth is fine for me once the interior warms up. It works just like my wife's 2002 allroad.
Same here, the design is not to have a "hot" steering wheel, its designed to stop the wheel from being cold and set it to a normal temp. Usually within a few minuets for me it starts to get warm.

Quick Reply: My heated steering wheel is not so hot