Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

New 2.0tdi Multitronic S-Line-Wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2.0tdi Multitronic S-Line-Wind noise

Picked up my new car on Saturday. Very nice indeed. Bose sound is excellent. The mpg so far is not great at 35 mpg. Also noticed a fair bit of wind noise around the wing mirror. Is this characteristic of the A6?
Old 01-17-2012, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Somewhere in the forum was the info that a seal in the mirror might be defective and making the noise.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

After seeing this video I would say it's a feature to warn drivers not to drive as fast. Start watching at 1:30s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYfqrnriBuI

Last edited by DirkM; 01-17-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

There is a screen that allows you to set a speed alarm at a speed set by the driver. I'm still breaking in the car have not gone beyone my setting (80mph) yet.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chuckyarla
Picked up my new car on Saturday. Very nice indeed. Bose sound is excellent. The mpg so far is not great at 35 mpg. Also noticed a fair bit of wind noise around the wing mirror. Is this characteristic of the A6?
It is on mine and I have a US gasoline engine. VERY disappointing if this is just the aerodynamics of the car and not the seal problem that the other poster referred to. I have an appointment Friday with my dealer where I will show him the post about the door seal.

This is my 5th A6 and by far, the noisiest yet; the wind noise is unacceptable. Damn care sounds like a low priced Ford or Chevy. Sure hope it is fixable.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Westchesterrick
It is on mine and I have a US gasoline engine. VERY disappointing if this is just the aerodynamics of the car and not the seal problem that the other poster referred to. I have an appointment Friday with my dealer where I will show him the post about the door seal.

This is my 5th A6 and by far, the noisiest yet; the wind noise is unacceptable. Damn care sounds like a low priced Ford or Chevy. Sure hope it is fixable.
Good luck with your visit to the dealer - please let me know how you get on. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I too had the wind noise problem coming from driver's side mirror. Dealer installed the seals inside as discussed by others and the problem is solved.

I had resigned myself to the truly objectionable noise in a luxury car, but thanks to the tip I received in this forum, my car sounds great from the driver's seat.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

I too had the wind noise problem coming from driver's side mirror. Dealer installed the seals inside as discussed by others and the problem is solved.

I had resigned myself to the truly objectionable noise in a luxury car, but thanks to the tip I received in this forum, my car sounds great from the driver's seat.
Do you know exactly what he did? Did he take out the triangular shaped plastic mirror casing on the inside of the door, or did he take off the door card? Where did he put the seals?

Last edited by chuckyarla; 01-20-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Unfortunately, I do not know what he did exactly. I know it required removing the door panel from the inside and putting in more than one seal. He did say that Audi had a technical bulletin on the subject, so it should not be difficult for any dealer to discover the fix.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Unfortunately, I do not know what he did exactly. I know it required removing the door panel from the inside and putting in more than one seal. He did say that Audi had a technical bulletin on the subject, so it should not be difficult for any dealer to discover the fix.
Can you describe what it sounded like before the fix? How loud, pitch, what speed etc. Was it really obvious that something was wrong or just louder than expected "normal" wind noise?

Quick Reply: New 2.0tdi Multitronic S-Line-Wind noise