Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Pistons and Rings

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pistons and Rings

My CPO 2013 A6 C7 2.0t has around 94k on it. Car started to use a lot of oil. Started after 75k and gradually has been getting worst. The dealer was very kind enough to do a oil consumption test for free. The first time they decided to replace the PCV and had to test again. PCV helped quite a bit but still burned a quart after around 1400 miles.

Dealer has come back with a $8820 estimate for pistons and rings. Audi goodwill is 65%.

Seems awfully expensive for a 2013. A few 2012's and 2013's still have the problem the earlier 2.0ts have? The engine code is the same CAEB.

Really like how the Audi drives. However, I'm thinking I should have bought the 6 cylinder

The oil consumption started around the time my CPO warranty was close to ending. Original dealer missed several issues I've had to pay for.

At 75k I would have said the 2.0t was a great engine. Burned a quart around the time to do the oil change. Went downhill fast after 75k.

Thoughts/comments?

Old 11-13-2019, 05:59 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Sorry to hear.
I am surprised they offered up goodwill on their own, or did you have to fight them for it?
Perhaps push them for 75% then it only costs you $2200 and you have a car you like with new pistons & rings.
Does illustrate why I don't care for CPO. Often don't check everything thoroughly, mark up the price because it is "CPO" and give a warranty that the car should have had when new anyway. Sorry.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

They did offer good will. But, I did reach out and ask for more. These days any engine should last 100k.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's a pretty radical solution to oil consumption. Are there other symptoms that you would need pistons and rings? Like loss of performance?
Old 11-13-2019, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

They had the car for a week. Dealer completed diagnostic tests including: borescope, compression and leak down tests. Replacing the PCV/Oil separator helped some but the verdict from Audi is piston and rings. Turns out this was a common issue pre 2012. Less common for newer cars. The service manager said he has seen a few 2012's and 2013's with this problem.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2013 A4 hit 66K with no problems and then out of the blue, the piston failed, caused a chain reaction and now I need an entirely new engine-$13,000. Audi will provide 0 assistance and I've fought hard for help. The dealership said I did nothing wrong, "the piston just failed".
Old 11-14-2019, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Also, I was hoping for something else. The PCV valve replacement reduced oil consumption by over half. Still went through a quart in 1400 miles.

I've had a indy shop look at it and the owner said it was likely to be pistons and rings. He said my year still has some of the same problems the older audi's have.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry to hear this. I think the dealer you work with helps. The original dealer missed problems with my audi. I switched to Audi of Chantilly after reading recommendations about the service manager, Justin Mulenax. Chantilly has been really good to work with so far.

Originally Posted by MelPerez
My 2013 A4 hit 66K with no problems and then out of the blue, the piston failed, caused a chain reaction and now I need an entirely new engine-$13,000. Audi will provide 0 assistance and I've fought hard for help. The dealership said I did nothing wrong, "the piston just failed".
Old 12-28-2019, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Finally got the work completed. So Far, I'm happy with the results from Chantilly Audi. They installed the latest version of pistons. Also, since they had it apart I had them replace the timing chain and tensioner with the latest version (for the cost of parts) and change the motor mounts.

Car runs great and just purrs . Motor mounts definitely help but I've noticed my idle is now a consistent rpm where before, when cold it would jump around a bit.

I'm now a bit on the fence about buying another Audi, where before the work was completed I wasn't ever going to touch a VAG product in the near term. Still, was a pain to go through but the car seems to run like it is a lot newer. Performance seems really good but haven't really pushed it yet.

I will probably change my oil change interval to 5 k. From the pictures they showed me I didn't see any sludge build up.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:17 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

How about a re-manufactured shortblock or engine done by an indie shop?

Quick Reply: Pistons and Rings