Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Removing upper dashboard?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 07:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing upper dashboard?

To complete the change of trim, I would like to remove the upper dashboard that holds the long trim piece (part 4) but not clear how to do this: It is held by three screws (6 and 6a) but to access the screws at each end it appears the A pillar cover has to be removed?

And if I manage to remove the three screws, is it just locked in place with tabs, or are there any tricks to removing it?

Attached Thumbnails Removing upper dashboard?-image.png  
Old 10-18-2015, 04:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cmg_r

The dashboard is not complicated to remove, but there are lots of screws. I remember it is a bit difficult to remove the Bang&Olufsen speakers due to the very limited position you have because of the windshield.

You first must remove everything that is not part of the dashboard (trims, glove compartment, central console, A pillars, ventilation grills, mmi and navi unit, instrument panel, speaker covers and speakers, steering wheel, airbags, etc). Once you have everything removed you will have access to all the screws. Unscrew them one by one and then just pull gently and firmly towards you until the dashboard comes off. Do whatever you need to do and put everything back together. Although some ETKA help might be needed, it is not absolutely necessary - everything is quite well done and it only requires attention.

Audi is well known for the quality build and attention to details, so anything you do do it carefully and logically and you will succeed!
Thanks a lot for this reply, even if it means I will not do it as it is much too complex for me to undertake.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey rassi,

The answer i gave you refers to the removal of the entire dashboard.

For the upper part of it ( that sort of lamela) things are simpler.

First of all, remove both A-pillars.

You are right with your pictures - need to remove those screws and then the piece holds in some clips - just unclip using a removal tool like this: tool

Prior to remove the lamela piece you need to remove the speakers ( if you have B&O then my previous answers apply - they are quite tricky to remove plus there is a ridiculous low amount of torque that you need to apply to the two screws when you put it back - if i am not mistaken one screw has 2nm and the other 3 nm). It might be easier with the normal speakers, but i can't tell since i have B&O.

You have to remove the headup display cover ( if you have one). This is simple - just unclip it using same/simlar tool like above). The clips are all around except the part that faces the windshield. So after you unclipped it pul gently towards you ( the driver seat) to unlock some holders it has there and then remove it by lifting it up.

I think ( i do not remember) there is a temperature sensor in the middle of the dashboard so you need to remove that too. Why i remeber that is because there or under it there is a screw that is usually forgotten and when you unclip the upper part you brake one holder of the dashboard.

If it helps you i attach an image of the upper dashboard piece upsodedown so you can see how the clips look like ( you are lucky the guys that are working on my interior still had it ).

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Attached Images  

Last edited by cmg_r; 10-18-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

I can confirm that removing the windshield/dash trim piece is pretty time-consuming, but not too difficult. When I swapped my wood trim, that portion took me around 3 hours -- I'm not an experienced body mechanic, but I did it carefully and followed the repair manual. (My car has HUD and Bose.)
Old 10-20-2015, 04:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I only have the above diagram to go from, no repair manual, but will give it a go this weekend, hoping that it will be a slightly simpler affair then, as I do not have HUD. The tweeters are held in by two small bolts and lift straight out but the bolt (#6) under the temperature sensor is difficult to get to because of the windshield. The removal of the A pillars are slightly daunting too.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't that upper trim piece the same silver color on all A6 interiors, regardless of trim color options? I know on the A7, that upper piece matches the rest of the interior trim.
Not sure what you have in mind, but maybe you can get away with leaving it..
Old 10-20-2015, 06:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 08A6
Isn't that upper trim piece the same silver color on all A6 interiors, regardless of trim color options? I know on the A7, that upper piece matches the rest of the interior trim.
Not sure what you have in mind, but maybe you can get away with leaving it..
No, there are plenty of different options (see below). Mine was originally "moor brown" which I changed to natural ash.
Attached Thumbnails Removing upper dashboard?-image.png  
Old 12-27-2016, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi cmg_r,

I have 2012 audi a6 prestige with heads up display and Bose speakers.
my problem is with heads up display, glass inside it looks like shattered and dealer quoted $5800 for its replacement.
initially I thought there was some moisture inside glass, but it looks shattered.
so I can still see speed and navigation on HUD but its not clear as it is mixed with broken glass.
I wanted to know
1. can we open HUD to replace that shattered glass ?
2. can we remove HUD just by removing upper dash panel or entire dashboard need to be removed? how much time it will take and is it too complicated ?
Old 12-27-2016, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on which reference info sources you may wish to search, it may be helpful to know the part you are removing is not the "dashboard." It's the instrument panel. The instrument panel is attached to the dashboard. The dashboard is the metal (usually steel) structural panel part of the body which forms a wall between the rear of the engine compartment and the passenger compartment, also sometimes referred to as the "firewall".
Old 12-27-2016, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Is it too complicated to remove instrument cluster?
If I need to open it fully?
And heads up display can be removed by removing upper panel?