Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Right side headlight Not working fuses, bulbs, ballast all ok

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left headlight not working on the A6 c7 2011

Hi was wondering if anyone could help or guide me the right way as my bulb for the headlight stopped working so I replaced it and still nothing then fitted a new ballast and bulb and still nothing working. My daytime lights, fog lights and indicator bulb all working but not sure what else could be the issue why its not working. If anyone has any ideas or knows please message me on 07760882546 or email me at mario.dechiro@gmail.com
Much appreciated
Old 12-11-2021, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey Mario -

If I remember correctly the right side (when in the car) is the headlight bulb that requries removing the wheel and peeling back the wheelwell shield to access unless you wanted to remove the front bumper. You should be able to do all this via said easier method. If not, just disconnect the corner of the bumper and lower it enough to wiggle out the headlight.
- Make sure all the wires going into the headlight are connected and that the wire insulation is intact.
- If you're using an LED bulb, try flipping the polarity. I don't think polarity matters on normal bulbs, but LEDs won't function unless plugged + to + and - to -
- A common issue is water accumulating at the bottom of the headlight/top of the ballast basin if your headlight is either cracked or the seal is failing at the seams. You can try removing the ballasts again and spraying some contact cleaner on the plug coming from the bottom of the headlights going into the ballast. If water is getting in, seal up the weak points with silicone.
- Check the fuse panel in front of your knees behind the panel under the steering wheel (for left hand drive models - may be behind the glovebox for right hand drives). This was the problem with my car when I originally consulted this thread. However I believe only one low beam headlight worked before I replaced the fuse - daytime running lights (DTR) and high beams on both headlights failed, as well as several interior, dash, and console lights.
- All else fails try plugging in a BlueDriver or similar OBD2 scanner that can read more than just engine codes. That should tell you specifically what is failing.
Old 12-11-2021, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mario,
I’ve been through this same problem. I believe you have a blown fuse that is only accessible by removing the panel under the steering column. Only 4 or 5 bolts to remove the panel. I think it’s a 30 amp fuse but I can’t say for sure. There is nothing in the owners manual that mentions this fuse panel.

This is what that fuse panel looks like. Like I said, I believe it’s one of the 30 amp fuses. Very easy to check if it’s blown
Old 12-11-2021, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by A7fan
Hey Mario -

If I remember correctly the right side (when in the car) is the headlight bulb that requries removing the wheel and peeling back the wheelwell shield to access unless you wanted to remove the front bumper. You should be able to do all this via said easier method. If not, just disconnect the corner of the bumper and lower it enough to wiggle out the headlight.
- Make sure all the wires going into the headlight are connected and that the wire insulation is intact.
- If you're using an LED bulb, try flipping the polarity. I don't think polarity matters on normal bulbs, but LEDs won't function unless plugged + to + and - to -
- A common issue is water accumulating at the bottom of the headlight/top of the ballast basin if your headlight is either cracked or the seal is failing at the seams. You can try removing the ballasts again and spraying some contact cleaner on the plug coming from the bottom of the headlights going into the ballast. If water is getting in, seal up the weak points with silicone.
- Check the fuse panel in front of your knees behind the panel under the steering wheel (for left hand drive models - may be behind the glovebox for right hand drives). This was the problem with my car when I originally consulted this thread. However I believe only one low beam headlight worked before I replaced the fuse - daytime running lights (DTR) and high beams on both headlights failed, as well as several interior, dash, and console lights.
- All else fails try plugging in a BlueDriver or similar OBD2 scanner that can read more than just engine codes. That should tell you specifically what is failing.
Thank you for your help I will be giving it a try 🤞
Old 12-11-2021, 11:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Dutch29
Mario,
I’ve been through this same problem. I believe you have a blown fuse that is only accessible by removing the panel under the steering column. Only 4 or 5 bolts to remove the panel. I think it’s a 30 amp fuse but I can’t say for sure. There is nothing in the owners manual that mentions this fuse panel.

This is what that fuse panel looks like. Like I said, I believe it’s one of the 30 amp fuses. Very easy to check if it’s blown
That's awesome I will have a look 🤞
Old 01-09-2022, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Re A6 C7 headlight not working

Hi all First time posting on here and just wanted to say thanks for the advice in the threads with regards to headlights not working. I live in the UK and my nearside front dip/main beam HID D3S Started to flicker on and off back in November 21. Ordered some new bulbs decided to upgrade to the Osram night breakers (which are excellent by the way). Sadly the nearside front was still flickering and turned out after some investigation to be the ballast. Sadly I hadn’t realised that when it blew it it actually blown the fuse as well so none of the lights were working in the nearside headlight unit. Thinking this may be the second ballast that controls the DRL , Indicators and fog light as well as the HID I purchased and replaced this as well. Sadly the light was still dead. I’m sure you’re all reading this and I’ve had similar experiences frustrations and stress because of it. Hence this post to let you know which fuse exactly you need to change. Further up this thread is a link to all the fuses relays and locations. You may find as I did that this has very little to do with what’s actually in the car, the handbook and all the online diagrams for fuses, that I have come across are completely different to what I’ve actually got in my car(as in what fuse is in what location that controls what electrical circuit.) This is partially with some of the frustration lies and the fact that nowhere in any book or how to guide apart from this thread does it mention about the missed refuse this in the boot. [size=33px]So rant over, Onto the fix! As described there are two fuses in the boot in locations 34 and 35 according to this diagram link that control both the headlights and other circuits in the vehicle. Both of mine are 30 amp fuses and upon checking the fuse in location 34 was the one that had blown as soon as I replace this all the lights in the left-hand headlamp unit were working as they should. Upon Replacing the new the DRL ballast with the original DRL ballast this works to perfectly fine. I did however replace the HID ballast also on the headlight unit as this was probably the cause of all the flickering in the first place.[/size] [size=33px]Apart from a little bit of moisture that has built up in the headlight where it’s not been in use for the past 46 weeks this will go in time. A further note if you do wish to remove the headlight from the car you do have to remove the bumper at least halfway across the car this is fairly easy to do and can be done without removing any of the wheels but best to take the wheel off and just peel back the inner wheel arch lining to give you full access. I’m sure there are plenty of guides on how to do that on here Already.

Final thought: I write this post in the hope that it helps somebody in the future and not for any kudos or glory. I just found it so difficult to resolve this issue even with the VCDS I want to try and help someone else.

if you do have this issue and you come across this post I wish you the best of luck drink plenty of tea or coffee take your time and don’t let it stress you out.[/size] [size=33px]All the best for the future everyone 👍😎[/size]
Old 04-15-2022, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

After going through every fuse in the car I have found my problem. It was a blown fuse in the fusebox in the boot of the car NO.32 I think. A blown 30A fuse caused my right headlamp not to work. Hope this helps anyone. I searched the fusebox under the steering wheel and couldnt find any blown fuse.
Old 08-19-2023, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Karzan Meddes
Where was the fuse located please? I have a similar issue...
under steering wheel dash I currently have the same issue......went for a car wash shortly after changing passenger side hid bulb noticed condensation ordered passenger headlight from rock auto put on old ballast changed fuses blew out again just ordered ballast from fcp euro we will see if that fixes the issue....ie...there's no manual that ever mentions fuses being under dash so I was confused when I saw after checking driver and passenger and trunk fuses.....hope this helps
Old 08-22-2023, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My car is Audi a6 c7.5 2.0 tfsi and I Can not able to find the ignition coil fuse Please help me out. Which fuse is for ignition coil?

This is my fuse box in engine bay
Old 01-17-2024, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Dutch29
Mario,

Hey, I'm new to the world of working on my car and don't have the funds to take it to the shop to get it fixed, so I've resorted to doing it on my own. From what I've read in the forum so far, I need to access this fuse box behind the steering, wheel. The only issue is that I don't know how to access that. Could someone guide me?

Quick Reply: Right side headlight Not working fuses, bulbs, ballast all ok