Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Sound system/phone problem and solution found

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Sound system/phone problem and solution found

Here's a solution to a problem that might help someone else...

Today my sound system suddenly started going south. Every time after I turn on the car (or reboot the MMI) after 15 seconds or so all radios and media sources would go silent. When I selected any source, the station or song could not be changed in the MMI on radio or media device and the telephone module showed a call was in progress, even though it wasn't and the MMI "end call" button did nothing when selected. No directories from my phone and the voice control is dead. (Interestingly, the nav voice guidance seemed to still work).

So, the call in progress thing gave me an idea - I thought that the MMI and phone connection had something to do with the issue. First, I turned off the bluetooth on my iPhone. All the music and operation came back confirming this. So, next I tried deleting the bluetooth devices in both the phone and MMI. After reestablishing and re-pairing a new bluetooth connection, the same problems returned. So long as the phone was connected, the MMI thought I was on a call and no music. Strangely, selecting a different song or source was still frozen on the MMI screen.

Next step to try was to delete the bluetooth phone device profiles again on both the car and the phone and do a hard reboot of the iPhone. Re paired the bluetooth devices and problems solved. All worked normally again, sound and song selection on all sources.

Take-aways? If you have experience any weird issues with your MMI operation, first try rebooting the MMI (do the three-fingered press of the MENU+selector control+upper right function button). Next is to reboot any connected devices. Chances may be good that one or both went into some kind of a gonzo connection state that a simple reboot of either or both will correct.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Here's a solution to a problem that might help someone else...... If you have experience any weird issues with your MMI operation, first try rebooting the MMI (do the three-fingered press of the MENU+selector control+upper right function button). Next is to reboot any connected devices. Chances may be good that one or both went into some kind of a gonzo connection state that a simple reboot of either or both will correct.
Thanks, snagit. Had a similar experience on my 2013 and rebooted everything (hard reboot). I suspect your approach would have done the job with less issues.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Grapeking
Thanks, snagit. Had a similar experience on my 2013 and rebooted everything (hard reboot). I suspect your approach would have done the job with less issues.
I'm guessing if I had rebooted the phone first that's all that would have been needed.