Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

To sport or not to sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
As my sig indicates, I have the US Prestige. The last setting could be Individual, I don't have the car in front of me. If the suspension can't be modified then how is the ride changed between Comfort and Dynamic? I thought the C7 used a magnetic adaptive suspension, same as my C6 Corvette.
I don't even know you and I already like ya, lol. I believe the difference between the two is probably a combination of the steering, shift points, and throttle response, to make it completely a smooth of a ride as possible with the US spec setup. As far as know the actual stiffness of the ride isn't adaptable for the US cars.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blackz06
I don't even know you and I already like ya, lol. I believe the difference between the two is probably a combination of the steering, shift points, and throttle response, to make it completely a smooth of a ride as possible with the US spec setup. As far as know the actual stiffness of the ride isn't adaptable for the US cars.
You'll be annoyed to know I bought my '08 A6 3.2 to use as a winter car when I put the Vette up. Liked the Audi so much I sold my Vette in March and waited for the 2012 A6 to come out. Truthfully, the Corvette had so much power that you couldn't use it was annoying, but it was probably the best car I've ever owned.

I think you're right concerning the suspension, but the manual, Audi website and dealer all indicated that it was adaptive. Not a deal breaker for me (had my fun with the Vette ) but its still annoying.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:42 PM
HDK
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been covered in other threads but just be aware that the 19" & 20" sport packages come with summer performance tires (my 19" sport came with goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetrics instead of P-Zero's) 18" sport comes with All Season tires. Seeing as you are in Canada I'm thinking you are not going to be able to use the summer performance tires in the winter.

I've already got my 17" winter rims and I'm just waiting for the Blizzaks to arrive at Costco.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to agree that after reading the A6 brochure, Audi Drive Select on US cars changes the throttle response and shift points and the steering response only. There is no mention of suspension changes. The US models do not get the option for the sport rear differential or electronic adjustable suspension or DSG transmission. The Sport package does have a slightly lower ride height and stiffer springs, but these are not adjustable via ADS.
The 535 has 3 different sport adjustable settings, One for transmission and throttle, One for suspension and steering with or without active roll stabilization.

As far as 19" summer tires, at delivery why not swap for Conti DSW all season? The dealer can usually get almost full credit for the OEM . I did this with my RL OEM since they were rated poorly in the snow and put on Michelin pilot A/S, and I think the cost was less than $300.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
As my sig indicates, I have the US Prestige. The last setting could be Individual, I don't have the car in front of me. If the suspension can't be modified then how is the ride changed between Comfort and Dynamic?
Unfortunately, as stated by others, it won't be changed via ADS settings - you either get the standard suspension or the sport suspension as ordered and no amount of button pushing will change it. Only throttle, shifting and steering can be affected. The optional ADS in the B8 A4 has added adaptive suspension but alas, for some reason, Audi decided to exclude it from the U.S. version of the 2012 A6.
Bummer.