Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Which Subscription Services are you going to keep?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's gr8 if they let you turn it on/turn it off though I rather doubt that. Usually there is a 2 yr commitment associated with cell service, which is what we're talking about, as there is a separate IP address associated with that device. Personally I would still rather have the portable device that I can use in the car for the kids and also bring up to the hotel room or any other location. In the car, the two devices would function exactly the same but I would rather have the flexibility to take it with me. Your mileage may vary.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by addysdaddy
It's gr8 if they let you turn it on/turn it off though I rather doubt that. Usually there is a 2 yr commitment associated with cell service, which is what we're talking about, as there is a separate IP address associated with that device. Personally I would still rather have the portable device that I can use in the car for the kids and also bring up to the hotel room or any other location. In the car, the two devices would function exactly the same but I would rather have the flexibility to take it with me. Your mileage may vary.
Per Audi's website it's a month to month plan, start up and cancel as you like.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

That would be the least expensive way to go, if you don't need the access outside of the car. Wonderful that the T-Mobile program is that flexible.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Month to month plan seems to function just like the 3G data plans for iPads

Originally Posted by Blackz06
Per Audi's website it's a month to month plan, start up and cancel as you like.
Blackz06 is correct. I looked over the T-Mobile information packet that came with my car yesterday and there are 3 options for you to choose:

1. Month to month
2. 12 months in advance.
3. 24 months in advance.

For #2 and #3, they give a little break on price for paying up front. #1 would be the equivalent of the data plan I have through AT&T for my iPad 2. I can cancel and renew at will for a month of service at a time.

As for the 2GB plan, the packet also clearly states that you get full access to the high speed 3G connection for up to 2GB of data transferred. Afterwards, the connection is throttled but not capped. There are no overage fees which is decent of them.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI
correct me if im wrong but isnt traffic reports now through t-mobile 3G?

Im finding it pretty useless, i like the traffic but not for 30 bucks a month. So i think the only subscriptions are Sirius/T-Mobile.

I will most definitely keep Sirius, but im going to call them up to cancel it a month before my trial runs out, when i do this they always give it to me for around 4 bucks a month
Traffic is thru Sirius & cost extra...$43.89 per year no doscounts.
My 3 months are up & I just renewed for $77.00 year. Did not get traffic!

Update: how u like this crap?
I called Sirius today & following was said to me.

Buy full price sirius for $12.99 per month & get traffic for $43.89 yearly. Grand total $199.00 per year.

Since I got the $77.00 discount for one year I cannot get traffic for $43.89.
If I go for traffic for $43.89 I lose the radio & get no music.
Some bull **** that the radio & traffic ID is same number & can only get one!
But if you buy both when you renew @ full price then radio ID is not a issue

Last edited by Barry626; 10-24-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just had to renew Sirius last month. I got the $77/yr deal but it was another $3.99 a month for the traffic info, no discounts. I find it invaluable.

I am now convinced that the traffic info is incorporated into estimated driving time for nav destinations. I have had several trips with traffic issues, and the nav predicted an arrival time that was still very close to when I actually arrived - even with long delays! Great to have, and works beautifully with the MMI nav.

I am really on the fence for the T-Mobile Audi Connect. I see this as several components:

Google Earth: I loved Google Earth when I first got the car, but I have come to realize it's really just a gimmick. The standard 3D nav is cleaner, and provides much more detail and info. I never use the Google nav anymore, except to impress people.

Online Destination Info: I am ticked that I can't get online info on destinations while driving. I'm not sure if enabling video in motion would also enable data while driving. As it is, how often do you search for info on a location while parked. Never. Worthless.

Weather/Gas: LOVE this feature. Use it all the time, and would really miss it.

News: Another gee-whiz thing to show people. It's a lot easier to use your smartphone.

Wifi hotspot: LOVE this feature. Although I hate T-Mobile's 3G coverage (just awful in SW Ohio), It is awesome when it works. I have been able to facetime with iPhone in the car over 3G (it tricks the iPhone thinking it's wifi), stream Slingbox video to an Iphone or iPad in the car while drving, and it is great for passengers on trips. Just outstanding.

Have we definitely determined if MMI can use tethering to get data from your smartphone? This is how the Audi Connect was originally described. That would allow you to use your own phone's data plan, which would avoid the monthly fee, data limits/throttling, and bypass the crappy T-Mobile 3G antennae that the A6 uses. All the above features could be used with no extra cost. I wonder if this is something that VCD could modify to enable. I have read other posts that suggest Europe uses some form of tethering.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by teddyoh
I am really on the fence for the T-Mobile Audi Connect. I see this as several components:

Google Earth: I loved Google Earth when I first got the car, but I have come to realize it's really just a gimmick. The standard 3D nav is cleaner, and provides much more detail and info. I never use the Google nav anymore, except to impress people.

Online Destination Info: I am ticked that I can't get online info on destinations while driving. I'm not sure if enabling video in motion would also enable data while driving. As it is, how often do you search for info on a location while parked. Never. Worthless.

Weather/Gas: LOVE this feature. Use it all the time, and would really miss it.

News: Another gee-whiz thing to show people. It's a lot easier to use your smartphone.
I was on the Sirius website yesterday trying to determine which services were Sirius and which were T-Mobile. I think you will find that the weather, news and gas prices are Sirius services, not T-Mobile. According to the website there is a basic "travel plan" or something like that, which appears to include the weather, news and maybe gas prices for something like $4 month. Traffic is either an addon to that or may be purchased separately. Also according to their website, these plans are independant of the music service, although the plan dates appear to coincide.

My extended trial for Sirius is up the end of November so will see what I lose at that point, as my music plan runs until next June. I agree with you on the Google Earth, its neat to look at but the regular 3D screen is more useful. I have no need for traffic info so I'm looking at the basic travel plan and maybe T-Mobile for the online data.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
I was on the Sirius website yesterday trying to determine which services were Sirius and which were T-Mobile. I think you will find that the weather, news and gas prices are Sirius services, not T-Mobile. According to the website there is a basic "travel plan" or something like that, which appears to include the weather, news and maybe gas prices for something like $4 month. Traffic is either an addon to that or may be purchased separately. Also according to their website, these plans are independant of the music service, although the plan dates appear to coincide.
Sorry you are incorrect or Sirius web-site is.
Weather, Gas, News etc is T-Mobile not Sirius.
Traffic & Sirius radio are only 2 items from Sirius.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Barry626
Sorry you are incorrect or Sirius web-site is.
Weather, Gas, News etc is T-Mobile not Sirius.
Traffic & Sirius radio are only 2 items from Sirius.
I hope I am incorrect, but the Sirius website was pretty clear as to what they provide. Maybe Audi changed what they provide to them. Hope so because I hate dealing with Sirius, but my plan with them clearly states I have more than traffic during my trial.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

How are you guys getting $77/year? They keep calling me and I keep trying to get them to drop the price but they won't budge off ~$149.

Quick Reply: Which Subscription Services are you going to keep?