Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Summary: C7 Audi Connect Carriers and Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by saadcee
You sure? I don't see remote start capability anywhere for MyAudi, and i think it says remote lock/unlock is only available in the 2019 A6:

https://www.audiusa.com/myaudi/apps/faqs
"Owners of 2017+ Audi Q7, A4, allroad, 2018+ A5 & Q5, and 2019+ A6, A7, A8, Q8 vehicles with Audi connect® 1have features (such as Vehicle Status Report, Lock Unlock, and Car Finder) that can only be used by a myAudi account designated as the Key User."
Yeaaaaah, that was the salesman talking. No remote start from the factory.

I'll have to search the forum for recommendations on after market remote starting solutions...grrrr.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sudeep Mehta
hi - has anyone used freedom pop sim on 2018 A6 successfully ? i switched from the free trail ATT to feerdom pop, its show the signal bards(3g) and network status is good; however it is not getting any data. Also, i could not find APN setting under the connection settings;

any help would be appreciated;
I'M A new MY2016 A6 owner....and I picked up a Freedompop 3-1 card at bestbuy (.99) currently. It worked like a charm after changing the APN setting and doing a space for both password and user name.

fp.com.attz worked just fine FOR theAPN. I Registered/activated the card on the freedompop site prior to install. I deselected all of the extras, just to see how far the "free"200mb will actually get me. Honestly, I only wanted so i could choose the google maps overlay and access the MMI features for fuel, weather, events listings. I have not tried to see if the AudiConnect aspect works, but I suspect it wont. I logged in with my vin and attempted to input the freedompop sim card; while myconnect site recognizes the card as an "ATT" card (because freedompop uses the att network), audiconnect kept telling me the card was not recognized, so I couldnt finish registration on audiconnect.

Beyond that, Both att and audi were of very little help today; each place told me i needed to contact the other to get a card...so i was in a loop. That's why i went with freedom pop. I'm honestly not sure if the rest of audiconnect is even worth it for me personally...that said, even though i bought the car used, it'd be nice to see all its features. .
Old 09-04-2019, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a 2016 A6 and the free 200 Mb Freedompop plan since Sept 2018. I use the Google Maps overlay, traffic, online search, and Audi Connect. I rarely go over 100 Mb monthly, even for road trips over 500 miles. For MY 2016, Audi Connect uses whatever carrier you’re connected to. There’s nothing to do set it up. Once you’re connected to Freedompop, you can use Audi Connect.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sudeep Mehta
hi - has anyone used freedom pop sim on 2018 A6 successfully ? i switched from the free trail ATT to feerdom pop, its show the signal bards(3g) and network status is good; however it is not getting any data. Also, i could not find APN setting under the connection settings;

any help would be appreciated;
Were you able to get this figured out? I am having the same issue. If there was just a way to access the APN settings menu, we could put in the correct item "fp.com.attz".
Old 09-14-2019, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by A6Jase
I'M A new MY2016 A6 owner....and I picked up a Freedompop 3-1 card at bestbuy (.99) currently. It worked like a charm after changing the APN setting and doing a space for both password and user name.

fp.com.attz worked just fine FOR theAPN. I Registered/activated the card on the freedompop site prior to install. I deselected all of the extras, just to see how far the "free"200mb will actually get me. Honestly, I only wanted so i could choose the google maps overlay and access the MMI features for fuel, weather, events listings. I have not tried to see if the AudiConnect aspect works, but I suspect it wont. I logged in with my vin and attempted to input the freedompop sim card; while myconnect site recognizes the card as an "ATT" card (because freedompop uses the att network), audiconnect kept telling me the card was not recognized, so I couldnt finish registration on audiconnect.

Beyond that, Both att and audi were of very little help today; each place told me i needed to contact the other to get a card...so i was in a loop. That's why i went with freedom pop. I'm honestly not sure if the rest of audiconnect is even worth it for me personally...that said, even though i bought the car used, it'd be nice to see all its features. .
Are you getting traffic ? This is the only reason I am subscribing to Audi's $10/ month plan. I tried the freedompop card ( registered and activated the card and changed the APN ) in our 2016 but I was not able to get it to work.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I figured out the issue. Since freedom pop uses att, when I plug it into the SIM card slot it believes I put an att SIM card in. Therefore, it locks the card down and applies the default apn settings and will not let me enter the correct APN. When I put a T-Mobile SIM card in, it allows me to modify the APN. If there is someway to make it use T-Mobile not ATT, I could probably get it working. I’m out of ideas though.

Originally Posted by 2017A6
Were you able to get this figured out? I am having the same issue. If there was just a way to access the APN settings menu, we could put in the correct item "fp.com.attz".
Old 10-01-2019, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

So different issue all together.
I have had T-Mobile since I got the car, just last month the 1 year subscription ran out, and the only option was the $25 a month. Bit the bullet and went ahead and got it. Account shows it's active, and I paid, but none of my audi connect features are working. Google earth gives me a data usage warning. I'm showing 3g connection, just not getting any bandwidth. They reset ALL of my MMI while trouble shooting and I've only used like 345Kb in 2 weeks trying to connect to google maps. All I get is the Standard map, no google overlays. I contacted Audi USA and after two weeks, they said "it's T-mobiles issues, might want to convert to At&T. It worked fine until this new sub so what now???

Just for a peace of mind, I have a neighbor that also has an Audi on T-Mobile, asked her if her's is working, she said yes. Asked her if I could put my sim in her car and see if it works. Guess what... same error message I got??

Bad Sim card or something wrong with my t-mobile account??
Got an appointment with T-mobile today for them to try and troubleshoot.
Any other suggestions ?
Old 01-07-2020, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Rush2112
So different issue all together.
I have had T-Mobile since I got the car, just last month the 1 year subscription ran out, and the only option was the $25 a month. Bit the bullet and went ahead and got it. Account shows it's active, and I paid, but none of my audi connect features are working. Google earth gives me a data usage warning. I'm showing 3g connection, just not getting any bandwidth. They reset ALL of my MMI while trouble shooting and I've only used like 345Kb in 2 weeks trying to connect to google maps. All I get is the Standard map, no google overlays. I contacted Audi USA and after two weeks, they said "it's T-mobiles issues, might want to convert to At&T. It worked fine until this new sub so what now???

Just for a peace of mind, I have a neighbor that also has an Audi on T-Mobile, asked her if her's is working, she said yes. Asked her if I could put my sim in her car and see if it works. Guess what... same error message I got??

Bad Sim card or something wrong with my t-mobile account??
Got an appointment with T-mobile today for them to try and troubleshoot.
Any other suggestions ?
@Rush2112 any updates? I just discovered the 30month subscription is no longer offered on my MY2014 with about 5 days to go so I'm suddenly scrambling. Seems silly of T-mobile to turn down the $15/mo I was apparently willing to pay for my limited usage when I clearly will NOT pay the $25/mo (at least not ongoing!).
Old 01-07-2020, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
@Rush2112 any updates? I just discovered the 30month subscription is no longer offered on my MY2014 with about 5 days to go so I'm suddenly scrambling. Seems silly of T-mobile to turn down the $15/mo I was apparently willing to pay for my limited usage when I clearly will NOT pay the $25/mo (at least not ongoing!).
Did you look into us mobile I used it for my car 2012 a6
Old 01-09-2020, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Yasglas
Did you look into us mobile I used it for my car 2012 a6
Looking now - "Super LTE" or "GSM"?

Had a FreedomPOP SIM around and it seems to work, albeit not terribly speedily. Price these days is pretty poor for more than 100MB/month free plan - looks like you get $0 with 100MB and 2.5 cents per MB or $23/mo or $30/mo.

Has anyone done the work on possibly swapping in a European or later US-spec "modem" supporting LTE?

Quick Reply: Summary: C7 Audi Connect Carriers and Options