Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

T-Mobile upgrade going to kill my data

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you already have an Audi Connect plan when you brought the car in?
Old 12-09-2015, 01:17 PM
wuk
AudiWorld Member

In Chicago burbs, I'm taking my 2013 A6 in to Hoffman Estates to have them get me back to 3G speeds (have been at 2G since spring) and to have them fix my fuel door, which doesn't like to open. Hoping I get the MMI upgrade as well....not sure if that is standard with this procedure or not. Will report back next week.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wuk
In Chicago burbs, I'm taking my 2013 A6 in to Hoffman Estates to have them get me back to 3G speeds (have been at 2G since spring) and to have them fix my fuel door, which doesn't like to open. Hoping I get the MMI upgrade as well....not sure if that is standard with this procedure or not. Will report back next week.
I would get the MMI upgrade to 814 (TSB - Windows phone isn't working) - saving yourself another trip to the dealer.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:45 PM
wuk
AudiWorld Member

i'll mention that, just in case they don't upgrade it anyway. Thanks 1st Time Audi!
Old 12-10-2015, 05:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st Time Audi
Did you already have an Audi Connect plan when you brought the car in?
I had the 6 months trial of Audi Connect. After that trial was over, I used pTel for a bit (a month here or there), but got locked at 2G.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sysdaemon
I had the 6 months trial of Audi Connect. After that trial was over, I used pTel for a bit (a month here or there), but got locked at 2G.
What are the chances I get one year free? My car has been at the dealer since 11/06.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JRomulus
I would call back in a couple days at talk to someone else. I did an online chat session with AOA back in August and said I didn't have an active plan, how could I get one and they told me to just go and get my car updated. I had a transcript of the chat, but the dealer I took it to just did the work and never asked for anything.

Frankly, while perhaps legal, forcing someone to buy a specific service in order to upgrade their car in order to use a capability they paid for IMHO is ethically dubious, and certainly foolish from a marketing point of view. Audi is all about brand loyalty. Angering customers by limiting choice when it comes to web/Connect access would not be smart.

A common joke is that "I need to buy a new car because my current one only has 3G and I want 4G." Bullocks to that.
Update: My Audi dealer (Rector Audi) did the update without any cost to me. Back to 3G speeds. They updated my s/w to 814. I noticed there is a call from 'car sim' option now which is very cool to have!
Old 12-11-2015, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

My ongoing sage continues...ACC brake issues was associated with the Nav antenna malfunctioning. The dealer is replacing it, and has to get it painted. At least until the 16th until I get my car back.

I'm really not liking the Q5 2.0 loaner more and more...the turbo lags kills it.

I can't believe the serviceof getting the modem replaced, has resulted in radio module replacement, then the Nav antenna...it's going to be at least $6k-$8k after all is said and done. Whatever CPO or after market insurance has pretty much covered itself, and I have 3+ year or 40k+ miles to go
Old 12-12-2015, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sysdaemon
Yes it's unlimited data capped at 128kbps for 12 months. Says it's $109 value.
kbps is a speed, not a data usage limit. For example, with my current Audi Connect thru T-mobile, my typical download speed is around 1 Mbps (pretty slow, but 8x faster than 128kbps). (For comparison, download speeds with my home wi-fi are around 20 Mbps.)

Data usage limits with the currently offered Audi Connect / AT&T plans are around 1GB monthly:
https://www.audiusa.com/technology/i...i-connect.html

I have the upgraded 5F equipment now, and I use the car wi-fi a lot and would exceed 1GB, thus I'm looking for an AT&T plan that's unlimited or at least higher than 1GB monthly... the T-mobile service is unlimited but it's slow.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Tman007
kbps is a speed, not a data usage limit. For example, with my current Audi Connect thru T-mobile, my typical download speed is around 1 Mbps (pretty slow, but 8x faster than 128kbps). (For comparison, download speeds with my home wi-fi are around 20 Mbps.)

Data usage limits with the currently offered Audi Connect / AT&T plans are around 1GB monthly:
https://www.audiusa.com/technology/i...i-connect.html

I have the upgraded 5F equipment now, and I use the car wi-fi a lot and would exceed 1GB, thus I'm looking for an AT&T plan that's unlimited or at least higher than 1GB monthly... the T-mobile service is unlimited but it's slow.
Well, it is an indirect usage limit. With throttled speeds this ridiculously low, you can't consume a lot of data in a reasonable time. That's basically how they get you. Frankly, I would mostly feel insulted if this is what they gave me for my troubles. AT&T no longer offers true unlimited data plans. Even on their grandfathered unlimited plan, they start throttling the speed to reign in data usage. However, you can add the MMI to any of their shared data plans and then you just have to get a big enough monthly data allotment to cover the usage of all your devices. AT&T has rollover, too, so any unused data rolls over to the next month, although after that it expires, but at least that helps with the occasional higher usage month.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-12-2015 at 08:52 PM.

Quick Reply: T-Mobile upgrade going to kill my data