Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Tmobile 200MB/month free data for life!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

If Audi does not give the car a way to check data usage, T-Mob should still be able to tell you how much data it used. The other way to check would be to put the SIM back in a phone, run it with a data monitor (which T-Mob loads as a standard app integrated into the new phones) and see.

Google Maps has options, varying with versions, to cache map data for offline use. How much data for a hundred "road" miles? Damfino. A hundred miles within a ten mile radius, not much. A hundred miles down the highway? A good bit more.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "Data Monitor" in our phones lags 72 hours behind. That's why I cant tell yet. I will know in 3 days. I am also able to see that information in my T-mobile account but so far it shows no usage.

The distance was basically 50 miles one way on the highway, in the city, then back home. So I guess 50 total miles of new data that would need to be downloaded and stored.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by A6ninja
UPDATE:

Ok so my Nav and Google search stopped working yesterday. I called t-mobile and asked why. They said I most likely ate up the 200mb (they didn't upgrade me to 500mb after all) in those 3 days time. He confirmed however that he did see my SIM on the network when it was plugged into the A6 and that it SHOULD be working. I then took the SIM and put it in an old phone and attempted to search a webpage. That resulted in being forced to a t-mobile page to purchase a data package. I purchased a 3gb package over the phone with the rep for one month to see if that was indeed the issue.

Once I purchased the package, I then put the SIM back in the old phone and attempted to browse. It now forced me to a new Tmobile page where it attempted to make me create a "Mobile Management Account" Obviously, I didn't do that and immediately removed the SIM from the phone and placed it in the A6. It worked flawlessly. Its also much faster to load the maps and results than it was with the free 200mb. The rep confirmed that the SIM was not and would not get tied down to any one device and I would be able to move the SIM from the car, to the phone, to a tablet etc. So far that has been true. HOWEVER - When the SIM is placed in any tablet, phone etc - It will not allow me to browse - it only forces me to a page to create a Mobile Management Account, but it works great in the A6.

So the question is, can I really have used up 200mb in 3 days?? I did a total of 5 google searches and ran Google Maps at all times, for what I would guess was a total of 100 miles. At this rate, 3gb would last me 2 weeks. Do you guys think this could be accurate? Unfortunately, I cannot view my data usage as the rep told me it takes 72 hours to update a viewable data usage chart on recent use. Obviously once I can view the data usage of those 3 days I will report back.

I am assuming if eating up the 200mb in 3 days is true, this must be the same thing that happened to Feralc? However, wouldn't it then reset itself each month with a fresh 200mb? The rep did confirm that once you use up the free 200mb the service stops responding as they hope you will buy a data plan - which in my case worked...
You can see in the MMI how much data you downloaded with that particular SIM in "data usage info" (or something like that), the MMI keeps different logs for different sims, it is not an aggregate of all of them.
My case was for sure not depleting the 200MB, because I just tested the sim in the car, parked it, and the next day or two it was not working anymore, take out that SIM put it in my Ipad and worked, back in the car not working, back again in the Ipad and working.

Maybe your SIM stopped working in the MMI just like it happened to mine, because my SIM is not attached to my tablet, but you need a tablet to make it work.

Or maybe now you need to do the Mobile Management account process to keep it working and choose the "no plan" option (or something like that I do not remember exactly)
Old 04-03-2014, 11:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Redd
If Audi does not give the car a way to check data usage, T-Mob should still be able to tell you how much data it used. The other way to check would be to put the SIM back in a phone, run it with a data monitor (which T-Mob loads as a standard app integrated into the new phones) and see.

Google Maps has options, varying with versions, to cache map data for offline use. How much data for a hundred "road" miles? Damfino. A hundred miles within a ten mile radius, not much. A hundred miles down the highway? A good bit more.
it does give you the data you have used for the SIM card is currently inserted, you can reset it, but in this case if what happened to A6ninja is in fact depleting the 200MB, then the sum of sent and received data should add to 200MB, because he has used the SIM for one month only.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by feralc
You can see in the MMI how much data you downloaded with that particular SIM in "data usage info" (or something like that), the MMI keeps different logs for different sims, it is not an aggregate of all of them.
My case was for sure not depleting the 200MB, because I just tested the sim in the car, parked it, and the next day or two it was not working anymore, take out that SIM put it in my Ipad and worked, back in the car not working, back again in the Ipad and working.

Maybe your SIM stopped working in the MMI just like it happened to mine, because my SIM is not attached to my tablet, but you need a tablet to make it work.

Or maybe now you need to do the Mobile Management account process to keep it working and choose the "no plan" option (or something like that I do not remember exactly)
UPDATE #2

I checked my data output and received - Over 4 days the output was 10mb, the input however was 110mb. That 110 mb was received during 2 trips that were identical to my trip with the old "free" 200mb SIM. So, I do think its possible that I ate up the free 200mb and then it shut off. Unfortunately I have no way of knowing for sure.

In the end, I purchased a 3gb of data for $20 a month. It works great is really fast. Still a better option than paying Audi Connect ~$350/year for the same service(I think that was the cost?).

Thanks to everyone on this site for your input and help!
Old 04-05-2014, 10:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by A6ninja
UPDATE #2 I checked my data output and received - Over 4 days the output was 10mb, the input however was 110mb. That 110 mb was received during 2 trips that were identical to my trip with the old "free" 200mb SIM. So, I do think its possible that I ate up the free 200mb and then it shut off. Unfortunately I have no way of knowing for sure. In the end, I purchased a 3gb of data for $20 a month. It works great is really fast. Still a better option than paying Audi Connect ~$350/year for the same service(I think that was the cost?). Thanks to everyone on this site for your input and help!
I don't think you used the 200mb because then input and output will add to 200mb. I believe it just happened to you what happened to me, Tmobile must have a list of approved devices for those 200mb and the MMI is not one of them.
OR you still needed to do the activation process in a device and it worked for a couple of days and then stopped working.

3GB sounds like a good plan of you have a device that will use LTE speed, for what theMMI uses I believe the 450 plan for 30 months was better for you, of course you needed to pay in advance and you will not offset the 450 until almost 2 years have passed in your 20 dollar plan.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

To further clarify, the T-Mobile 30 month $450 prepaid plan works out to $15 per month for unlimited data.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to get in on this free data offer, just picked up a 2012 A6!!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ASN21
I need to get in on this free data offer, just picked up a 2012 A6!!
I will save you some time it does not work
Old 04-07-2014, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by feralc
I will save you some time it does not work
But some will still keep trying...