Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Why no "headlights on" indicator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Why no "headlights on" indicator?

In many states, it is required for headlights to be on when the wipers are running. Why is there no way to determine if my cars headlights are on? This is the first, out of probably 30 cars that I have owned, that does not have this indication.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

There is. The icons around the headlight switch are illuminated if the headlights are on, but regardless, with the headlights on Auto, they turn on automatically if the rain sensor detects rain and starts operating the wipers. Why even bother?
Old 05-28-2016, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
There is. The icons around the headlight switch are illuminated if the headlights are on, but regardless, with the headlights on Auto, they turn on automatically if the rain sensor detects rain and starts operating the wipers. Why even bother?
Because not everyone uses the rain sensor. It's the first thing I disabled in my car. My parent's VW Routan had the best system. Turn the wipers on and the headlights went on just a few seconds later.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Why would you want to disable the rain sensor feature? Even if activated uou still have control over the wiper interval and can manually override on/off or speed with the stalk. In the auto position you also solve the headlights on in the rain question.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Why would you want to disable the rain sensor feature? Even if activated uou still have control over the wiper interval and can manually override on/off or speed with the stalk. In the auto position you also solve the headlights on in the rain question.
Because the least sensitive position is still too sensitive for my liking.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

In the auto position you also solve the headlights on in the rain question.
Are you saying the lights automatically come on if the wipers activate? Does that include when the wiper stalk is in the rain sensing position?
Old 05-28-2016, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Are you saying the lights automatically come on if the wipers activate? Does that include when the wiper stalk is in the rain sensing position?
Yes, as long as the light switch is on Auto. If the wiper stalk is in the rain sensing position, then the lights come on shortly after the sensor senses rain and if it stops raining, the lights turn off.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Because not everyone uses the rain sensor. It's the first thing I disabled in my car. My parent's VW Routan had the best system. Turn the wipers on and the headlights went on just a few seconds later.
Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Because the least sensitive position is still too sensitive for my liking.
You can't please everybody. Some people just want to swim upstream constantly and make it harder than it needs to be. First world problems I guess.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way I tell if the headlights are on is I simply look if all the steering wheel buttons etc are illuminated.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tman007
The way I tell if the headlights are on is I simply look if all the steering wheel buttons etc are illuminated.
Actually I learned it on this forum that there is an 'in between' mode where it is not dark enough for the backlighting for the buttons to come on, but the headlights are on because the wipers are on. The way to tell is the lightbulb icon on the switch is lit (which is very hard to see behind the steering wheel).

Quick Reply: Why no "headlights on" indicator?