Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Why no "headlights on" indicator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find the inability to easily know if the headlights are on in the rain annoying in a car of this class. Supposedly you can look at the red lights around the light switch, but it takes some gymnastics to see them behind the steering wheel. Gymnastics that are not conducive to safe driving. In any event I can't see them if the moon roof cover is open and it is daylight. My solution? Turn the switch to ON instead of AUTO. As I said - annoying.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

At least I am not alone in my irritation about the headlight indicator. Thanks to all that posted.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
At least I am not alone in my irritation about the headlight indicator. Thanks to all that posted.
I just realized that your signature indicates you may have come from a BMW as I did. Therefore, you may have a long list of annoyances as I do. Such as:

• No headlight on indicator
  • No pdf operators manual
  • No speed limit indication on streets that are not numbered routes
  • No speed limit in HUD
  • No street information on next turn in HUD
  • No multimedia information in HUD
  • Minimal details on turn information when leaving a freeway or taking a Y maneuver on a freeway
  • Lack of steering wheel vibration when changing lanes and a car is passing you
  • Radio presets not key dependent
  • Navigation destinations not sent directly from Google Maps to car
  • No electric moon roof shade
  • No oil temperature indicator
  • Inability to tune radio after you back out of the garage until you reach 6 MPH or press the parking display button

Things that should not be remembered after you turn the ignition off:
  • Seat Warmer On
  • Seat Cooler On
  • Steering Wheel Heater On
  • Wiper On

Things that should be remembered after you turn the ignition off:
  • Last setting for engine off when stopped
  • Last setting in Driver Information System

Each is relatively minor, but taken together not expected in a "luxury" car. The major reason I bought the A6 is it is much closer to being the 'Ultimate Driving Machine' than my F10 5-series ever was. The A6 is such a pleasure to drive.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had BMW as well..... a 2008 535 twin turbo six with 6pd manual and rear wheel drive. It was quick ( slightly faster than my current 2016 A6 2.0 Q) but was an irritating car as I was very often driving a loaner while the many repairs were being done on my BMW under warranty. Having had both the A6 is a better experience overall. Oh, and believe me, the ultimate driving machine is a 911.... not a BMW with runflats.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm lucky I guess. My three BMW's have performed flawlessly with only a few reliability problems. That is except for the run-flats. I had many tire failures.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by radarguy
I'm lucky I guess. My three BMW's have performed flawlessly with only a few reliability problems. That is except for the run-flats. I had many tire failures.
My comments were mostly a friendly ribbing but my experience with the 535 was indeed bad. And, I know my experience was actually typical for cars with that engine. The turbos solved the problem of no power with the standard sixes below 4K rpm but that solution brought with it many headaches. The only bullet I dodged was getting the standard suspension with all season tires. That car/year actually came with normal tires and a spare. My freiends had already warned me about the tires but they did not have the twin turbo.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Why would you want to disable the rain sensor feature? Even if activated uou still have control over the wiper interval and can manually override on/off or speed with the stalk. In the auto position you also solve the headlights on in the rain question.
I've had many cars with rain sense that could not be over ridden with a true intermittent function that I totally control. Like the OP, I've never had one where the rain sense would do what I wanted. Most of them the controller seemed to make no difference at all.

I also have hated the fact it has no headlights on indicator. I'll have look at the headlight switch indicator. I was not aware of that.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
You can't please everybody. Some people just want to swim upstream constantly and make it harder than it needs to be. First world problems I guess.
No, you can't please everyone. But everone has a right to want what is important to them. And it's clear by this thread that the OP is not alone.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by radarguy
I just realized that your signature indicates you may have come from a BMW as I did. Therefore, you may have a long list of annoyances as I do. Such as:

• No headlight on indicator
  • No pdf operators manual
  • No speed limit indication on streets that are not numbered routes
  • No speed limit in HUD
  • No street information on next turn in HUD
  • No multimedia information in HUD
  • Minimal details on turn information when leaving a freeway or taking a Y maneuver on a freeway
  • Lack of steering wheel vibration when changing lanes and a car is passing you
  • Radio presets not key dependent
  • Navigation destinations not sent directly from Google Maps to car
  • No electric moon roof shade
  • No oil temperature indicator
  • Inability to tune radio after you back out of the garage until you reach 6 MPH or press the parking display button

Things that should not be remembered after you turn the ignition off:
  • Seat Warmer On
  • Seat Cooler On
  • Steering Wheel Heater On
  • Wiper On

Things that should be remembered after you turn the ignition off:
  • Last setting for engine off when stopped
  • Last setting in Driver Information System

Each is relatively minor, but taken together not expected in a "luxury" car. The major reason I bought the A6 is it is much closer to being the 'Ultimate Driving Machine' than my F10 5-series ever was. The A6 is such a pleasure to drive.
Great post and I agree with you!

I gave up BMW's WAY back in 2004 after I sold my E39 5 series which OBTW was a wonderful car. So most of your complaints I can't relate to with my previous BMW's. The other BMW I loved was a 96 328i. I would take either one of them over many of todays cars. In hindsight I wish I had never sold the 5.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

It still amazes me that manufacturers don't take the best and nice features from competing models and incorporate them.

The OPs list is reasonable except that the HUD has to be sparse as too much information distraction in the line of sight is a potential law suit.

I agree with the headlight indicator issue.
A pdf should be available on the MMI. (to be viewed when in park only unless you enable VIM).
The steering wheel vibration would be nice.
For Nav destinations to be sent directly would involve a constant ping to the server so data rates would escalate.
The moon roof shade should be an option. I don't even want a moon roof yet alone an electric shade.
Oil temp is available with the enabling of Lap Timer.

Quick Reply: Why no "headlights on" indicator?