A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

Carplay issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Carplay issue

God, I suck at tech. I setup carplay a few months ago after being frustrated to no end with the $hitty audi nav system of not being able find basic addresses. I was easily able to toggle between carplay and MMI. went to use it the other day (after audi couldn't find a simple address) and either forgot how to do it or something's not right.

Bluetooth is on, the phone function works etc. I can play music thru the phone as well. I can also send google directions from my phone to the car. I click on the button that says Phone apps and then get the screen that says connect your iphone to the vehicle to be able to use carplay audi mmi 2827. then I click on connect device. I then see the screen that has the two choices of "new connection" or "apple carplay iphone". on the bottom of the screen it says establishing connection please wait. after a few seconds it just greys out. Any thoughts?

Oh, interesting observation regarding the Audi nav system (which is Google I guess, and why I can't understand it's so bad). Anyway, was out the other day and had to put in several addresses. Nothing crazy, no numbers like you get in the city. just basic "25 maple ave. anytown usa". I'd say it was unable on 40% of the requests. What's weird is it will actually spell out the address while it's searching but then say couldn't be found.

What blew my mind was went back to some of the same addresses a few days later and some that it couldn't find was able to find? What's funny is I'll usually start yelling and cursing at it and it gets all confused trying to find what i'm yelling lol. sometimes I want to take an axe to this car.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 164 Posts

Easiest solution to the CarPlay issue would be to delete the phone from the car and the car from the phone and then repair the phone with the car from scratch. Audi navigation system is not Google, system was actually originally developed by Harman Kardon and uses mapping data from HERE, the old Nokia mapping business that was jointly acquired by BMW, Mercedes and Audi in 2015, but given all the software related issues, especially with the Golf 8, VW has bought all software development back in-house
Old 01-27-2022, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by John Simcox
Easiest solution to the CarPlay issue would be to delete the phone from the car and the car from the phone and then repair the phone with the car from scratch. Audi navigation system is not Google, system was actually originally developed by Harman Kardon and uses mapping data from HERE, the old Nokia mapping business that was jointly acquired by BMW, Mercedes and Audi in 2015, but given all the software related issues, especially with the Golf 8, VW has bought all software development back in-house
Thanks. I was wondering if I should delete the phone and try again but afraid I'd have more problems. are there particular steps to delete it properly? I also read somewhere that it could be ios v. 15 that could cause some problems. updated my phone to 15.2xx and one of the bug fixes did have something to do with carplay. tried again yesterday and still not working.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 164 Posts

Could be, I rarely use CarPlay so can't comment. BTW iOS 15.3 came out last night. Go into the Connections section of the car and delete the device. Go into the bluyetooth section on the phone, click on the "i" and click "forget this device". should be sufficent. Probably worth then doing a full restartof the MMI by pressing and holding the volume button until you get the Audi MMI splash screen then once it has restarted repair the phone
The following users liked this post:
doctorharrison (02-15-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

much thanks.
Old 02-04-2022, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue and I followed the instructions here it worked. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2022, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

First legit road trip this week since allowing Audi Connect to expire. Used CarPlay and google maps. Perfect performance. Great graphics and spot on speed trap recognition. Can’t imagine why I’d pay $350/yr for Audi connect.
The following 2 users liked this post by SSSSSSIX:
doctorharrison (02-15-2022), markrief (02-14-2022)