A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

Central locking system malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Central locking system malfunction

So my brand new A6 is now getting a message about a central locking system malfunction. I think I tried to lock the doors with the passenger door open. Manual says to bring it in to the dealer. Car is only 3 weeks old. Getting a little nervous.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Not saying its the same issue, but I had a similar malfunction on mine about 6 months in. They had to replace a rear passenger door lock actuator. In and out in a day.

If you try to lock the doors when one of them is open, it just won't complete the lock cycle until the door closes. It would have to be a pretty poorly designed system to malfunction just 'cause you clicked "lock" with a door open...

Last edited by davedavez; 09-25-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

This just happened again. Getting a central locking malfunction after they supposedly fixed it with software. They're saying there's a new software update and to bring it in. Wonderful.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,

I appear to be having a similar issue just got my 2020 A6 estate and the rear passenger door will open from the inside but not the outside,

Was it the same issue for you?

Old 01-11-2021, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The malfunction showed up on the dash one day, so I took it to the dealer and they're the ones that did the troubleshooting. I just got the paperwork at the end that identified the culprit.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

Had similar issue over Christmas period, first message was something to the effect that you "cannot open a door while the vehicle is moving", followed by the "Central Locking Malfunction" message. When I got home the car locked fine and and has been fine since (albeit with limited use). Should have going into the dealer today for a service and for them to investigate this and a number of other issues, but dealer canceled the service because my car is affected by the recall for the starter/alternator and it is on back order. Apparnetly if they have the car in and they cannot do the alternator repair they cannot then give me the car back because it is not safe - perfectly safe for me to carry on driving if I don't bring it in though! I think it is possible that the locking fault on my car is caused by the external door handles not always properly retracting after use, hence it thought someone was trying to open the door while the vehicle was moving
Old 04-29-2021, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased my A6 in September of 2020. A few weeks ago I saw the first "Central Locking System Malfunction" message. Noting was amiss as far as I could tell. Next time the car was started the message was gone. It has come up several more times since, always going away without any action on my part.

I'm not making a special trip to the dealer for this. I'll wait until I'm due for a service appointment. As someone who has leased about half a dozen A6s over the decade this is one more reason why I hate this car.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Bought a CPO 2019 and have had it for almost 2 years now - NEVER got that message. Something is amiss!
Old 07-27-2021, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another related version of other's experiences. Year old 2020 S6 with Audi Advanced Key (comfort access). Unlocked the drivers door with fob. Then realized I had to open the left rear door. Pulled open put my stuff in, closed and drove off. Central Locking Malfunction appreared. Also said to see manual, but couldn't find it addressed in the manual. Stopped and shut everything down. Restarted, same. Took it straight to the dealer. They looked at it. Seemed left rear door wouldn't lock. They figured they would have to order parts. Next loaner appointment in 2-1/2 weeks. Appointment made.

Drove home. Locked car. All doors locked. Alarm led flashing. No error.

To be continued...
Old 07-27-2021, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Sometimes these cars are like your PC. Turn it off and reboot it.

Quick Reply: Central locking system malfunction