A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

RO: Question about tire damage and quattro

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2023, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was able to replace one tire. I hit a piece of scrap steel rebar or something and blew the tire and the wheel. I found a tire shop that would shave the tire (new only) to match the diameter of the other tires. Tires had about 10K miles on them. I think you can order from Tire Rack and they will shave to order.
The following users liked this post:
Z06jerry (11-08-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by VjSky
Yeah, but that implies that you should not use a smaller size spare wheel, not a 3-5mm difference in thread wear. If it was relevant they would have said it explicitly, they are German after all.
That's not the way I read it.
Regardless, based on my own experience and research beyond the manual as I indicated earlier, 3mm or more difference in treadwear is substantial enough
to not take the chances on damaging the drive system, or negatively affect performance and ride.

If anyone has any doubt beyond this, obviously you could call Audi, or contact a torque vectoring AWD drive system
expert. But I'm convinced. For an additional $1K for 3 tires or whatever it is, I'd rather have the
peace of mind especially considering drive system parts are extremely expensive.
Old 11-05-2023, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightrider007
I was able to replace one tire. I hit a piece of scrap steel rebar or something and blew the tire and the wheel. I found a tire shop that would shave the tire (new only) to match the diameter of the other tires. Tires had about 10K miles on them. I think you can order from Tire Rack and they will shave to order.
That's smart. I haven't used Tire Rack in many years. I had forgotten how easy those people were to work with, and
their willingness to save the customer a buck or two, and without the hard-sell!

The last time I had this issue, I had gone to Goodyear. I brought up the idea of shaving the new one instead of replacing the other three, and they
told me 'no'. I can't remember specifically why they wouldn't do it, but it seems it was because they didn't have the equipment, or because
there was too much wear on the other 3 and would negatively affect the stability of the tires.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In the end I ordered 3 new tires, safety is the most important thing for me so i wanted to be safe. I ordered BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK LM001 AO 225/55R18 102V, there is only one issue is taking 2 weeks for delivery.
The following users liked this post:
DadAudi (11-08-2023)