A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

10,900 miles and I'm happy........and sad!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2001, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10,900 miles and I'm happy........and sad!

So now that my A6 has recently passed the 10,000 mile mark, I have mixed feelings about the car. First, this car is just a wonderful car to drive in that is has very high "fun" appeal. Awesome acceleration, great handling and toruqe that any other car under $50k would kill to have. But...I have been extremely disappointed in the reliability.
To date: one replaced instrument panel, one replaced fuel sensor (who hasn't), one replaced stereo, two trips into the dealer on a flatbed trailer due to problems attributed to the steering motor pump. I just got it back six days ago and it will need to go back to the dealer because the fuel sensor is defective again.
If Audi wants to continue to grow as a leading automotive manufacturer, it better get its act together. A great review here and there will get a buyer once, but it is great reliability and service that will get them to buy your product again.

2000 A6 2.7T
Cashmere Grey
6-spd. manual
Sports performance package
Warm weather package
Cold weather package
Xenon headlights
Bose system
APR chip
Old 05-15-2001, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Understandable, but the Germans have never been too great with electronics...

I guess I better watch out, I might sound a bit like Reggie White They should, however, try to steal away some electrical engineers from Toyota or Honda to fix these electrical problems, and BTW steal a glass blower from anywhere else than where they got theirs.
Unfortunately, many Audi owners have to put up with some inconvenience to enjoy the pleasure.
I have been a fortunate one, though, with 8500 miles and only a slight, non-electrical, non-mechanical problem that required 3 visits to finally rectify (I didn't mind really, it gave me an excuse to drive 65 miles, although the loaner cars were decidedly sub-par compared to the Audi (Neon, Saab 9-5, Infiniti I30).
Hope your next 50-100,000 miles are trouble-free
Old 05-16-2001, 05:49 AM

Default Thanks unfortunate-22,000 and no problems

2000 2.7t no radio,windshield,fuel sensor problems, etc etc. A headlight washer cap came off (replaced free of charge) winshield washer reservoir leaked (fixed same day). I have the S4 wheels with 225/45 potenzas and when I hit a really big pot hole and ruined the tire the dealer just swaped the wheel/tire for a new one. Like you, I love this car.
Old 05-16-2001, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I've owned five Audis...'84, '87, '92, '98, '01...

Every one of 'em had "something" that sorta nagged. But I guess I'm one for the "whole experience" point of view, and every one of these cars (5000S, 5000S Quattro, 100CS FWD, A6 2.8 Quattro, A6 4.2) regularly made (make) me smile. Sure, I'd prefer the little difficulties be exorcised, but I would not exchange that for the feel and driving experience an Audi offers (especially in the three Quattros I've had.) What's more, the reduction in the "little nagging stuff" over the course of the five Audis (in 17 years) I've owned has been progressive.
Old 05-16-2001, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This is one constant . . .

The A6 is a blast to drive. Especially so in the "fun" factor of acceleration with the 2.7T and 4.2 but the 2.8 is also a joy to drive(IMO).

If Audi can step up to the plate and resovle their service issues then they will retain this captured market share. HP alone will not keep people coming back. Especially when there are competetors dropping models at the doorstep every six months or so. You have to admit, Audi is the one to emulate in terms of "what people want."

I agree 100% here, the car is a blast to drive. My position is to give Audi some wiggle room before I abandon ship. I'll probably give it one more sincere effort before that point. The upside is that there are so many more options across all brands now. Speaking from a consumers perspective I am excited to have many more luxury performance sedans to choose from(now and in the coming 12-18 months) from all manufacturers.

Actually, if it was not for this forum I probably would have abandoned the Audi ship a long time ago. The ability to vent, share, and regain perspective has been a critical component to my objective efforts to deal with problems. Audi should be paying some royalties to the A4.org folks. The forum has been a learning tool as well as an information sharing and miscellaneous babbling outlet.

Hang in there and you hit the nail on the head.

Brian
Old 05-16-2001, 06:59 AM

Default Re: I've owned five Audis...'84, '87, '92, '98, '01...

Well, I guess it had to happen. After over 18 months of trouble-free Audi bliss, last night - in the rain, of course - my driver's window would not roll all the way up as I was leaving a drive-up ATM. Not a happy camper, to be sure. I finally managed to pull it up high enough that it would close the rest of the way, but before that it would get about halfway up and the pinch guard would kick in and lower it again. And it was getting wet in there.

Got my great SA at University Audi on the phone and he figured that a guide had broken inside the door; supposedly a relatively common occurrence. At any rate, I take it in Friday. Just have to remember to keep my finger off that button until then.

My biggest worry - okay everybody, stop that snickering! - is that removing the door panel will violate the peerless factory build quality that is one of the things about the car that I love the most. Trust me, when I get it back, I'm going to check closely for any gaps, scratches, scuffs, and newly-introduced RATTLES. That's the problem with the current generation of Audi's. The body and interior assembly quality is so flawless that you really hate to see anything disturb it.

Now I know what a deflowered virgin must feel like. LOL.
Old 05-16-2001, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Takes three screws to take off door panel.

The panel backing is a thick layer of molded ballistic foam. In some Audis, there is a full size sheet metal plate that seperates the foam from the other door workings. You unscrew the plate to get the mechanical bits. In the door itself are several impact beams that unscrew. Behind those are the motors and wiring.

Very easy. Takes 5 minutes. Please rest easy, chance of tech messing up are small.
Old 05-16-2001, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Takes three screws to take off door panel.

Thanks, April. I'll try to take your advice and rest easy. The Service Advisor knows I'm pretty **** so he'll hopefully be a strong advocate.
Old 05-16-2001, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I have had lots of German cars...

My parents bought their first Mercedes in 1976. They have had 5 MB. I have had 3 MB, 2 BMW, 1 VW and 1 German Ford (Scorpio - stop snickering - it was the ex-wife's idea!) and now an Audi.

All of the new ones had some sorting out to be done in the first year or so, and then they were rock solid.

They are the best engineered DRIVING cars in the world, and the engineers design and build them for the German driving conditions - that is REAL FAST FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME!. In reality, as a group, they are very high performance machines, and by definition somewhat finicky. Closer to a race car than regular US or Japanese family cars (Engines, brakes, suspension, aerodynamics, ergonomics).

The Japanese cars are usually rock solid from day one. But the driving experience is lacking.

Choose your poison
Old 05-16-2001, 07:38 PM

Default Re: I have had lots of German cars...

Yeah, I know. That's why I said that I have mixed emotions.
I am not ready to give up the car just yet. Although whenever I first discover a problem, the thought does go through my mind.
But then I drive it again and, ahhh.....I calm down.
Thanks for the supporting words.

Quick Reply: 10,900 miles and I'm happy........and sad!