A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

1998 A6 - Low Oil Pressure - Not starting - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 A6 - Low Oil Pressure - Not starting - Help!

We just bought a 98 with 189K miles. Ran good the first 3 months and now it won't start. Bought a code detector and it is misfiring and low fuel pressure. We are getting spark and changed the battery and it still won't start. Any ideas?? Fuel sensor?
Old 12-29-2015, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Bad fuel pump?
Old 12-29-2015, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

We unhooked the fuel line in the front and tested it and fuel is reaching the engine so I believe we eliminated the fuel pump. Hmmmm???
Old 12-29-2015, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

What about fuel pressure? Pump might be able to pump fuel if there is no pressure i.e. when you unhooked the line but not able to pump under pressure. Also posting the actual codes will help. You should probably post what motor you have and what country you are located in as well.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Seems an obvious place to start, especially since the code reaser specified it....

Originally Posted by georgeb944
Bad fuel pump?
You need a) fuel, b) constant fuel, and c) fuel at sufficient pressure to get a decent mixture atomized through very high pressure injectors.

Fuel pumps have a very finite life in these cars ( at least the older ones did).

That said, they usually fail rather catastrophically - seizing up and/or working intermittently. Normally preceded by a period where they get loud.

I would suspect the low fuel pressure resulted in the misfires.

your post title had me going - i just HAD to learn the connection. Typo.

Grant
Old 12-29-2015, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I had to read it a couple times to catch my mistake!

Thank you for pointing that out!! I meant Low Fuel Pressure not Oil!! Yes, typo. Sorry...

My husband is actually working on the car and I decided to see if anyone had experienced this with their Audi. He did process of elimination basically.

The low pressure came from low fuel. He took the hose off the fuel rail and tested the fuel pressure. Everything checked out fine so moved on to the fuel pressure regulator. Took vacuum line off the regulator to see if there was fuel in the vacuum line and there was not. Next he disconnected the fuel hose from the fuel line and then took the regulator off to check the O-ring seal. Put everything back together because we knew we had fuel pressure, fuel and spark. For good measure, checked the coils with Ohm Meter and they were fine. Put a little more gas in the tank, held the pedal to the floor and cranked it and it kicked over. We did run the car low on gas so it's possibly that we had debris in the regulator or something but it is running fine now. We reset the code detector and it shows no codes!

Thought we would share but I am very happy that it did not cost a ton of money especially after the holidays and that we just bought the car from a friend 3 months ago!

Originally Posted by Just Me
You need a) fuel, b) constant fuel, and c) fuel at sufficient pressure to get a decent mixture atomized through very high pressure injectors.

Fuel pumps have a very finite life in these cars ( at least the older ones did).

That said, they usually fail rather catastrophically - seizing up and/or working intermittently. Normally preceded by a period where they get loud.

I would suspect the low fuel pressure resulted in the misfires.

your post title had me going - i just HAD to learn the connection. Typo.

Grant
Old 12-30-2015, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That makes sense. Nice, clear diagnosis, by the way. And a good reminder to all not to run on fumes.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

You might consider changing the fuel filter. It is often neglected and not changed. They are pretty cheap and do get clogged.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...miles-2893874/
Old 12-31-2015, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Yes. Change the fuel filter and section the old one and post a pic!

Originally Posted by Besselman
Thank you for pointing that out!! I meant Low Fuel Pressure not Oil!! Yes, typo. Sorry...

My husband is actually working on the car and I decided to see if anyone had experienced this with their Audi. He did process of elimination basically.

The low pressure came from low fuel. He took the hose off the fuel rail and tested the fuel pressure. Everything checked out fine so moved on to the fuel pressure regulator. Took vacuum line off the regulator to see if there was fuel in the vacuum line and there was not. Next he disconnected the fuel hose from the fuel line and then took the regulator off to check the O-ring seal. Put everything back together because we knew we had fuel pressure, fuel and spark. For good measure, checked the coils with Ohm Meter and they were fine. Put a little more gas in the tank, held the pedal to the floor and cranked it and it kicked over. We did run the car low on gas so it's possibly that we had debris in the regulator or something but it is running fine now. We reset the code detector and it shows no codes!

Thought we would share but I am very happy that it did not cost a ton of money especially after the holidays and that we just bought the car from a friend 3 months ago!
I've never seen such a dirty filter as the pic posted below, BTW. Usually I just blow them out backwards after replacing them to see how dirty they are but then I've never replaced a fuel filter because I HAD to…always did it on scheduled maintenance.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yikes, that's awful. I've never cut one open - although i cut open my insert-style OF on my track car all the time.

G