A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

1999 A6 - how to clean dirty low beam lenses?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 A6 - how to clean dirty low beam lenses?

For a while it has seemed that my low beams had been getting dimmer. Figured it was my eyes. Then one low beam went out, so I replaced it today (H1 bulb). Looking closely at both low beams, I see that the interior lense looks fogged and dirty. Can this be cleaned? Anyone done it? Please tell us how. I'm sure I'm only getting a fraction of the light on the road that I'm supposed to (and the car just went out of warranty!!!)
Old 02-06-2002, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, I am familar with the issue, and dealer say's nothing to do.

I have a 00 A6 Avant still under warranty, and perhaps comparatively less mileage to yours. I noticed the same issue you mentioned, looked like the low beam lenses were dirty or fogged or other, generally on the lower half of the lenses, not the upper half. I took the car to my local dealer maybe no more than 5-6 weeks ago, and one of their techs had a look. He said it was normal.
Not fogging, but more a discoloration resulting from a hot beam of light burning its way through the lens. The effect is on the lower half of the lenses, he says, because the lamps are basically aimed in a downward arc to get the most light on the road. In any case, the tech claimed any loss of light transmission would be minimal, and that this was not something Audi USA would address as a warranty issue. The tech said also that it would be useless to attempt cleaning the lens, as it would likely cause more harm than good. He is probably right. If you have had a close look at those lamp housings with their rear weather covers removed, there is really no practical way to gain access to those lenses, or even see what you are doing with a long, long q-tip in hand.

In my case, the fogging/discoloration is visible only when the lamps are switched on. In the off position, the lenses look actually clear. My real guess is that the loss of illumination you believe experienced is just do to worn out H1 bulbs. Even though they may not be burned out, as they get older, they do loose their ability to put out maximum wattage. It is not a bad idea to change the bulbs every year or two.

A better idea, if you followed recent posts by both A6Boy and myself, to to Autolamps-online.com, and order yourself a pair of Phillips
Vision Plus H1's for $32.00. This is a UK based company, but they don't charge for shipping.
The improvement we got by installing these bulbs in our cars, compared to the OEM halogens, was astounding. Try them, you won't be unhappy, and definitely won't be worried about those low beam lenses, after you switch on the Phillips bulbs for the first time.

And one last note. I started looking, shortly after visiting the Audi dealer. I have since noticed plenty of MB's and BMW's with the same effect on their low beam lenses.