A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.7T Audi A6 starting problem when engine is warm

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oooooohhhhhh YES MY FRINEDS!!!
my car is running great ATLAST!!!!!!!
yes it was the crank shaft position censor

i have a friend who is friends with a mechanic from the stelership and she got me in contact with him so now he is going to do all the work in my car HELL YEAH!!

he did it in less than 1hr and charge me only 30dlls what else can i ask for

he explain to me that this is a very common issue with the 2.7 because the censor is like a inch away from the turbo so it has direct heat and that causes the problem

but there u go buy the censor from ECS for 85 and u are all set
Old 01-24-2011, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldn't get too excited. I had a similar problem. I did something one day and it was like a miracle and my car was fine. then a week later, BOOM, wouldn't start at all. Ended up being the fuel pump. Wasn't too hard to change. but then again, i also ended up killing my battery, so if I knew before the fuel pump completely stopped working, I wouldn't have to get a new battery

Last edited by badinstincts; 01-24-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by PapatoeSC
oooooohhhhhh YES MY FRINEDS!!!
my car is running great ATLAST!!!!!!!
yes it was the crank shaft position censor

i have a friend who is friends with a mechanic from the stelership and she got me in contact with him so now he is going to do all the work in my car HELL YEAH!!

he did it in less than 1hr and charge me only 30dlls what else can i ask for

he explain to me that this is a very common issue with the 2.7 because the censor is like a inch away from the turbo so it has direct heat and that causes the problem

but there u go buy the censor from ECS for 85 and u are all set

Did you have a check engine light on? or fault codes stored?
Old 07-21-2011, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I have the same problem.

I have the same problem, my car model is a 2001 Audi a6 2.8 v6. I always a problem starting the car, Hot or Cold, but once it starts it runs good. What do you guys suggest me doing? Changing the crank sensor like the guy suggested, or replace the fule pump?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:04 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Suggest you pull codes from the ECU.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to have a 2.7T that would not start when engine is warm say, after driving for 10-15 highway miles or the engine is at operating temperature. If there was some cool down period, the engine starts again. This has to with flooding the engine - someone already mentioned in this thread - and this is most likely the issue.

The suggestion would be to replace the coolant temperature sensor.
Apparently, the fuel ratio is much higher due to wrong information from this sensor. This could fix the issue completely.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i guess there are many causes for starting problems. mine was definitely the fuel pump...
Old 07-25-2011, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto on the CTS. mine did exactly that on a cross country trip. If you shut it off when hot, it would NOT start. wait half an hour or so and it started and ran fine. No codes. New CTS fixed it. It's the one on the pasenger side to the rear of the valve cover near the firewall. I think there are two...one for the ECU and one for the gauge. I don't think they're interchangeable.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by meternerd
Ditto on the CTS. mine did exactly that on a cross country trip. If you shut it off when hot, it would NOT start. wait half an hour or so and it started and ran fine. No codes. New CTS fixed it. It's the one on the pasenger side to the rear of the valve cover near the firewall. I think there are two...one for the ECU and one for the gauge. I don't think they're interchangeable.
Glad that worked! Actually, I was very frustrated with this problem when I had the '00 2.7T car and of course, AudiWorld members to the rescue, I took their cue and bought the part, I think it was less than $10.00 from the dealer and fixed the issue permanently! My joy and elation could not be explained; well, until the turbos went... but that's another story. Finally replaced the whole car with '01 4.2 and have been happy ever since. Of course, life takes tool and now it is complaining every now and then... minor aches and pains.. :-)
Old 06-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Fixed?

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I'm having the same issue with mine.starts fine in the mornings. But turns over for a little but after its warmed up.

Quick Reply: 2.7T Audi A6 starting problem when engine is warm