A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2002 S6 Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 S6 Brake Issue

Installed new SP Perfomance cross drilled/slotted rotors and PBR Deluxe pads about 4 months ago. The new rotors and pads were properly "seated". All was good until 3 weeks ago when the left rear brake started making noise upon initial brake application. I bought the rotors and pads from an out of state Audi Tuner. They advised they do this set-up often without issue, and it must be an install problem.
The shop that installed them advises that the rear pads need a shim, but one is not offered by PBR. They applied silicone to the back of the pad to hold it in place, and also applied stop squeak to all pads. 3 days later, upon initial breaking, the left rear brakes are now squeaking at a higher pitch.
The install shop is suggesting new Akebono Euro Ceramic pads for the rear. I hate throwing away new pads, and paying another $200 for the rear pad/install, but the sound is driving me crazy. Please advise if you have had similar problem with PBR or if you have any suggestions.
Thank You
-Jack-
Old 10-10-2008, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Bed the brakes again

Several very hard stops from 60-10 w/ 1/4 mile in between each stop to build up a lot of heat in the brakes, then 10-15 minutes of cruising w/ no brake applications to let them cool evenly.

Should get rid of the noise. If lightly used agressive pads can become noisy.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Harder pads tend to sqeal when cold. fact of life.

that said, the question is why it changed. Try bedding them again. Squeal is a vibration ( duh).

G
Old 10-10-2008, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default My indi "roughed" up the rotors and cut the pads at a 45 degree

angle on the edges and that solved it.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default PBR Deluxe on an S6. For shame.

They WILL fade when you most need them.

i don't use a shim, used some euro pad (not akebono, probably some textar-like, but Audi OEM just not from a dealer). It's so easy you should do it yourself...the only issue is backing off the pistons..they have to be pushed and rotated. Special tool (I used a harbor freight ) but you can often borrow/rent it from autozone.

Again...friends don't let friends use PBR deluxe on S6's. Fair disclosure, I used them once on my volvo 740T in the front and they're quiet and ok for puttering around, but they-will-fade-when-you-most-need-them. PBR metal masters are better, but they have cold or greasy feel when cold. And limited bite when cold.

Try Hawk HP if you can find them in your pad. Great bite, no fade, somewhat dusty.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd on the Hawk HPs. Been very pleased with mine - great bite, not much dust, zero squeel.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've heard the Pagids ( standard, OEM) are very good. Hawks significantly better?

experienced comments welcome
Old 10-10-2008, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Most pads are already chamfored....

roughing up certainly can help reduce noise caused by a polish / glaze.

I am looking forward to replacing my pads and rotors on MY s6 with all new in about a year. What I have is safe, effective, but feels like crap, relatively speaking.

G
Old 10-10-2008, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The erroneous consensus is "blame the pads"! Look to your caliper and fluid PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default no experience w/pagids. Used hawks on saab (long story), volvo.

The hawk hp+ were just so far above anything I tried to correct the lousy 87 900T saab brake balance (and I had an 84 900T that had perfect brakes...suspension another matter)...the rears would lock up waaay before the front and swing the car around, even with stock pads. Nothing wrong with master cylinder(s) and booster, no proportioning valve on 87 900T.

The hawk HP+ pads bite right now and never faded and had excellent friction coefficient and were capable of being modulated...fancy that in today's abs enviro (saab did not have abs). Enough bite to lock the fronts and the rears, with moderate foot pressure. Threshold braking here I come! Dusty as stock brake pads (maybe a little less dusty than stock, but definitely dirtier than PBR or Axxis MetalMasters).

Quick Reply: 2002 S6 Brake Issue