A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 2.7 with KO4's clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by USNNODOZ
Well I have about 2500 budgeted for this. I hope that's enough. The guy I got the car from said he had stock DV and that was causing the car to shake when I got on the gas. He did a timing job when he had to put the motor 25k miles ago and that's when he upgraded the turbos to KO4's. However, I pulled the plugs as someone on here suggested, and he had 4 champion plugs and 2 iridium plugs. All gapped at .059+. So I bought all new double laser platinum from autozone (15$ each) and it fixed the problem, but there was oil in the spark plug wells so I cleaned them and with the new plugs everything was great... For a month, it started doing it again. Pulled a plug and was oil in there again... Got some valve cover gaskets from the dealership (mistake considering they were $90 each side) that fixed the problem, but that's when the clutch started slipping..

I read on here that the stock turbos you cannot hear, and if you had KO4s or bigger, u could hear them spoiling up so that's what I'm going with since I can't see the turbos when I'm underneath.

Is there a way to tell what stage in the car is set up in?? I honestly have tried to find info on how to tell what stage a car is but there's nothing I can find. I'll probably go with the stage 3 clutch because hopefully it will last longer if it's ment for something with more power than I actually have.

Another question, I've seen videos of people putting The turbos in, and adjusting the waists gate. Video kinda sucks but is there a way to test how much boost it will put out without actually putting it all back together?? I have no idea how much boost I'm putting out right now cause there's no boost gauge and my OBD meter won't tell me cause it's not a diseal or some ****. I plan on putting a boost gauge in while I'm doing all this ****.
Waste gates are controlled by ecu…no way to tell other than by VCDS with engine running.
The waste gate controller/spring/pressure motor has an intrinsic blow off that can be checked with a pressure generator like a mity van, i.e., that pressure that causes the wastegate to open. But recognize that most control systems for turbochargers just call that base boost and booger the boost signal to that diaphragm by bleeding off manifold pressure to the wastegate and controlling the real manifold pressure that way.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Ask the clutch supplier.

Originally Posted by USNNODOZ
Should I replace the flywheel as well?? Ordering parts today.

This is the clutch I was going to order
FX Racing Stage 3 Clutch Kit Audi A6 Allroad Quattro S4 2.7L 6Cyl DOHC Bi-Turbo
IIRC you have a dual-mass flywheel and they can cause problems as they age. Check on youtube for examples of worn dual mass flywheels. They were designed to minimize driveline vibrations at around 2000 rpm IIRC, and when they're worn (see the videos) they can cause problems.

So you can't really tell whether the flywheel needs to be replaced until you have access to it and can check for play/wear in the dual mass unit.

As a general rule, I would replace the flywheel with a new clutch and pressure plate unless you KNOW the flywheel has been replaced before and that it is good and not heat-damaged or warped.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://youtu.be/jx55CmLoP9I

This is a video I just took. Sounds like water dripping. Coming from my turbos??