A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

ABS Module DIY success story. Used the guide commonly referred to in the passat forums.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 05:18 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Sweet! YGM, BTW. =)
Old 12-04-2008, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That's extremely dangerous.

Your brother got very lucky. It doesn't take any heat at all to lift those pads. Once those pads are lifted, they're not going back down.

For anybody reading this attempting to do it yourselves, DO NOT try and go pad to pad. Leave those wires alone! It is very difficult to solder to the pad on the substrate and that pad lifts very easily. If you lift the pad, I have a way that sometimes fixes it. Although it involves $100/oz. silver epoxy.

I also wouldn't call any repair that puts a new solder connection on a former ultrasonic bond point reliable.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some advice from an ABS professional

As a tech at modulemaster.com, I can tell you that the fine wires are not the only source of failure in these modules. By replacing them, you may buy yourself a little extra time, but there are other components we routinely replace that also fail.

If you do decide to DIY, you should know what you're getting into. At the minimum, you'll need a precision temp-controlled soldering station, a high-powered microscope, silver wire, silver solder, a temp-controlled oven for curing the process, and not to mention the equivalent expertise of performing brain surgery.

If you attempt the repair yourself and end up needing help, don't toss your module out! We often can repair previously repaired work as well.<ul><li><a href="http://www.modulemaster.com">modulemaster.com</a></li></ul>
Old 12-08-2008, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Some advice from an ABS professional

"If you do decide to DIY, you should know what you're getting into. At the minimum, you'll need a precision temp-controlled soldering station, a high-powered microscope, silver wire, silver solder, a temp-controlled oven for curing the process, and not to mention the equivalent expertise of performing brain surgery."

Yes, as a professional electrical engineer, I have all those things. There's no 'brain-surgery' about this. You just need steady hands and proper tools. There's nothing else repairable on this module except for the wires, so I don't know what you're talking about. I am looking at one right now, and besides some caps (which I have never seen a cracked one), everything else are IC dies, nothing that is cost effective to replace. It is the power leads, every single time.