A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Accessing fan control module

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Accessing fan control module

i've been avoiding replacing my fan control module for a couple of years now. Seems my electric fans run fine at slow speed but do not increase when needed. I've seen the bumper side one go to a higher speed but only for a few seconds, then slows back down. I ignored this as we seldom have hot enough days for this to be an issue. But it got extra hot recently and the car began to overheat. So I am finally going to replace the fan control module.

Is there an easy way to do this? I've read that that if put into the service position it is easy, but can it be done without this being necessary? Anyone have experience doing this? I have never removed the bumper and put the front end into the service position. I'd like to avoid this step if I can.

Anyone have experience replacing the fan control control module that can offer me advice? It is a 2001A6 2.7 tiptronic.

thanks for any help offered.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Yes, BTDT.

You will have to remove the front bumper assembly completely and the headlight assembly to access the fan control module.

It's been awhile since I did one, but I seem to recall that there are nuts which attach the module to the bottom of the frame rail on the front left of the car. There are also several wire harnesses which snake through and around the fan assemblies. Take note of the routing to make sure that you don't end up with one of the fans slicing through the harness.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Headlight makes sense. Just looked up from the bottom. Not an easy place to access. I also compared the new one with the one in place. Both have 3 sets of connections that look to be the same plugs, but they are not in the exact same order. Does this indicate this is the wrong replacement module?
Old 07-04-2018, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by clancy
Both have 3 sets of connections that look to be the same plugs, but they are not in the exact same order. Does this indicate this is the wrong replacement module?
Don't know... I did the swap about 3 years ago and both were 2001 cars with 2.7T motors, and part numbers matched. If the part numbers don't match, I would recommend finding a matching part.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have removed the bumper. Still looks like the FCM is behind the frame rail (?) and below the bumper shock mount. I do not see the reason for removing the bumper other than if I do need to put the car into the service position it will be necessary. The headlight is quite a bit higher than this. Why am I to remove the headlight? Is it to access the wires?

Thanks for the assistance.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by clancy
I have removed the bumper. Still looks like the FCM is behind the frame rail (?) and below the bumper shock mount. I do not see the reason for removing the bumper other than if I do need to put the car into the service position it will be necessary. The headlight is quite a bit higher than this. Why am I to remove the headlight? Is it to access the wires?

It's all about ease of access. You can try sneaking the parts in and out of the position, but you will spend more time doing it that way.

Of course, YMMV, and it's your time, so do what you want.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have started to do the service position. Since I already have the bumper it doesn’t seem too difficult. Hopefully this will allow me to access the FCM. I will report back.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Managed to put the car into the service position, more or less. The left or driver side moved out a few inches while the other side barely moved. I found this was sufficient to remove and replace the FCM as it is on the left side. Not sure why the other side did not want to move but figured it was not an issue this time.

Did not remove the headlight. I think that was mis-remember by georgeb944.

The wires were difficult to remove from the FCM probably because the plastic clips had never been removed in 18 years. Otherwise all went fine. Even the reassembly of the front end. The car started and the fans came on with the A/C. I won't know whether they go to high speed until we have another hot day and I am in Denver in traffic. I will report back when I know. I'll be taking the car to a much hotter environment soon. Wanted to get this done before the trip.