A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Any 2.7T owners have issues with oil consumption?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any 2.7T owners have issues with oil consumption?

At about 17k miles my oil light came on. I checked the oil a coupla times and it looked OK...not a drop of oil in my garage. The light went off and I thought "electrical glitch." I had my service dept check it out when I got my 20k service and they said everything looked OK. Guess what? The light went on last night and when I checked the level this morning it was low. I added a quart and no more light. Why would a motor with 23k miles be burning oil? I'm might be changing my handle to "GladILeased."
Old 06-19-2002, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hmmm...could be an issue with pressure rather than level. I would take it in ASAP personally.

Did you let the car sit for a while before measuring the oil level?

-st
Old 06-19-2002, 07:47 PM
Elder Member

Default some oil burning is considered normal

It isn't normal as in "all cars do it" (my 2.7T doesn't), but normal as in "Audi won't pay to fix it".

Honestly, a quart every 3k miles barely registers on the inconvience or price richter scale. But it doesn't exactly engender trust in the car, does it?

One way to look at it is that if you were changing your oil every 3K miles like the old days, you wouldn't even notice it. The car is going to of course burn more oil in 8K miles than 3K.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Could be, since if it was the level being low you would have seen it when you checked.

I seem to do about a quart every 5000 miles. I don't know what is typical but a turbocharged engine is likely to burn more oil than a non turbo. It may be blowing out the crankcase, rather than by the rings or valve stem, due to the high crankcase pressure.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:37 PM

Yeah, but enough to make the oil light come on in 3k miles?
Old 06-19-2002, 08:52 PM

I see a rental car in my future.....
Old 06-20-2002, 06:17 AM

Default Re: That is certainly possible, and not entirely unreasonable from an SAE point of view. If ...

you believe the engine is "burning" the oil, pull a spark plug from each bank. Spark plugs do not lie. They tell you everything you want to know about the combustion chamber. But, "consuming" the oil is very believable. There are too many variables to go into, but consider the following:
always check the oil level in the same method, ie. always hot - same amount of run back time, or alwasy cold - in the morning before starting.

How much oil of the quart you poured-in did it take to turn off the light? Or did you pour the whole quart in and the light went off. It probably did not need an entire quart to turn off the light.

IMHO, I would not worry because this is not excessive for a twin turbo vehicle.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:35 AM

Default Thanks for the info- never had a turbo but what you say makes sense

I'll definitely be checking my oil on a regular basis in the morning.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:06 AM

Default Re: I see a rental car in my future.....

Just had my car in for its 10K service at the dealership. Told them that I am burning almost a quart per 5k and I was told that is average for the 2.7T and within Audi specs. I made sure that they put the issue on the service ticket in case I every have a problem in the future which I believe relates to this issue.

I also love the way they ship the car with synthetic oil and then asked me to pay an upcharge to have synthetic put in. Between that and a charge for tire rotation, I was feeling somewhat disappointed in the "free" maintenance.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:44 AM

Re: ATTABOA, or one morning a week should suffice.

Quick Reply: Any 2.7T owners have issues with oil consumption?