A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Anyone else think that Audi got the one-touch window feature "backwards?" ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2000, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else think that Audi got the one-touch window feature "backwards?" ...

IMHO, the obviously "correct" way for one-touch to operate would be:

a.) touch it quickly for incremental small moves (down or up), as when "cracking" a window when parking on a hot summer day

b.) hold it up/down for, say, about 1 second, to initiate all-the-way-up or all-the-way-down mode.

Audi has done such a wonderful job with most of the interior that I just can't believe that they think their default behavior is "proper" one-touch behavior. With their default behavior, a prolonged touch/hold is required for small adjustments, making it almost impossible to lower the window just 1/4 inch from the top. If you release the switch too quickly, you get into all-the-way down mode, and WAY overshoot your target opening limit before you can stop things. And, if you hold the switch long enough to avoid this all-the-way-down mode, then it usually opens at least 1 inch or more by the time you release it. So, you sit there repeatedly jerking your windows down (too far), then up too far (or all the way closed again), and then the cycle repeats, until you're cursing in bad German at the drunken idiot engineer who designed this particular feature!

GRUMP, GRUMP, ..... .

Can this default behavior be reprogrammed (via the VAG scan tool) to the "desired" behavior that I described above? (My '98 Maxima had the described behavior. There was a fair amount I didn't like about that car but they did get the window controls RIGHT.)
Old 05-15-2000, 03:22 PM

Should have added that this refers to the 2000 A6 2.7t model car.
Old 05-15-2000, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Anyone else think that Audi got the one-touch window feature "backwards?" ...

I haven't tried this yet on my new A6, but to crack the windows on my 1997 A4 I would quickly touch the button and then immediately touch it again. The second touch would stop the downward motion and the window would usually go down by about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in the meantime.

Give it a try--it worked well for me.
Old 05-15-2000, 04:37 PM
JP4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It works fine for me...

And if I want to open the window just a fraction of an inch I touch the control twice to get just the amount that I want.
If my window is all the way down I want to be able to raise it all the way with the least amount of distraction as possible so I can put my hand back on the wheel. I like the way the one-touch feature works. I had a Maxima too and IMHO the Audi system is a more logical design.
To each his own!

Enjoy your A6!
Old 05-15-2000, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I've tried it the other way,

... on several American cars, and I strongly dislike it. Audi and the other Euro manufacturers have it the "right" way, believe me.

Jim
Old 05-15-2000, 05:43 PM
Elder Member

Default Saturn had two position switch

Press down to lower the window. Press all the way (even for a moment) for auto down.

I liked that better. Didn't address auto up though.
Old 05-15-2000, 06:07 PM

Default Re: I've tried it the other way,

'95 Mazda 626 does it the same way as Audi
Old 05-15-2000, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Anyone else think that Audi got the one-touch window feature "backwards?" ...

Nope. It works just fine the way it comes.
Old 05-15-2000, 06:41 PM

Default Acutally, I now recall that my '98 Maxima really had a 2-position switch for both up and down. ...

Push it down just barely, and you got "incremental down" control. Push it down all the way, and you got all-the-way-down control. Same thing for the up direciton (except the required movements were to push it up just barely vs. push it up all the way). In any event, you could always get the desired of the 4 possible functions quickly and easily in a foolproof manner.

Sorry to find something that Audi's done "inferior" but I still feel that way.

More feedback is welcome, as y'all see fit.
Old 05-15-2000, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The best way would be to have a second detent just beyond the first movement. It would

open the window normally and the second position would be auto down. Ditto for raising the window. I had a 93 Mazda 626 ES 5 spd. that had this system for lowering the window only. The car was good but left much to be desired but this feature was great.

Quick Reply: Anyone else think that Audi got the one-touch window feature "backwards?" ...