A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

April, Anyone...Help Tranny in major "limp mode"

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default April, Anyone...Help Tranny in major "limp mode"

My tranny is in "Mechanical backup with non-active control module" according to Bentley. I have no PRND32 display, and I can't get my VAG-COM to communicate with the module. It shows this mode on the CD, but doesn't show how to fix it. Any ideas? I was changing my oil, and went to pull it out of the garage yesterday when this happened. I've triple checked everything that i've touched to make sure nothing was loose, and I have no more ideas...
Old 06-16-2002, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Reboot

I know nothing about this particular problem. However, when a PC (or an Audi radio) stops working, the solution is to pull the plug and reboot.

Disconnect the car battery for 30 seconds or so and see what happens. Make sure you have your radio security code handy. Maybe this won't do anything to fix the problem, but it should not make it worse.
Old 06-16-2002, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Reboot

I tried that, and it didn't help (i now get press clutch to start car in the info. screen instead of step on brake..), but thanks for suggestion. I'm hoping to find something, but it may just be dealer bound. I hope they can get me in soon...
Old 06-16-2002, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sounds like perhaps a wire disconnected. Vital data not being transfered.

I'd go back under again and very carefully check everything you can to make sure everything is plugged in tightly. Get any oil on anything down there ? I know the filter is far forward, but perhaps the belly pan dislodged something during removal or installation. Sure, you checked all the plugs in sight, but how about a tug on a wire that plugs in out of sight ? Check the Tip ecu plug in itself ( the main one ) ?

If that doesn't help, do as Fairfax suggests, but I would wait about 10 minutes before powering up. I've seen this happen a few times on new or trade-ins. In those cases, it was either a loose wire or gear selector sensor that caused the problem. If it doesn't know where the selector is, the tranny goes into limp mode. The fact that the VAG COM can't talk to it, would point to a loss of a vital connector.
Old 06-16-2002, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Sounds like perhaps a wire disconnected. Vital data not being transfered.

Hmm, is the gear selector sensor part of the board that goes around the tip. shifter? I did take that apart to clean around it. I think that it also has some sensors for when it is in tip mode, plus to detect the up, and down shifts. Thanks,
JB
Old 06-16-2002, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Yes, there are sensors there. Important ones.
Old 06-16-2002, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Yes, there are sensors there. Important ones.

I'll have to double check, but I'm almost positive that I didn't touch anything.
Old 06-16-2002, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Get any cleaner on the contacts ?
Old 06-16-2002, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Our A4 went into tranny limp mode. Found oil in electrical connector. Blew out and reset.

Limp mode in this case was a reverse illumination of PRND432, plus no reverse operation and no top gear. Engine turbo boost seemed to be gone also.
Old 06-16-2002, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not that I know of, but ...

took the whole assembly apart again, and I will re-install it again tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Here's a strange, but good thing. I disconnected my battery for a couple of hours, and when I re-attached it, my radio was fine, no code needed, what a pleasant surprise! So at least something is going good for me

Quick Reply: April, Anyone...Help Tranny in major "limp mode"