A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Are Audi buyers/owners uniquely cheap, tight-asses?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's a Jewish CFO???

I have several friends of the Jewish persuasion who don't know squat about money...but then again neither do I.
It appears you have an uncommon and mutually beneficial relationship with your dealership...you get what your genetically predetermined sphincter requires (a good deal) and they get a loyal customer with many friends (who may not be so financially astute). Apparently, your dealer thinks that is worth giving you some cosmetic extras (?hair piece, face-lift?) and a good deal.
So congratulations, good luck with the financial biz, enjoy the Audi
Old 08-10-2001, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A cautionary tale of being too smart.

A4s have often been in short supply. Up until recently, Audi would dictate the exact powertrain combos you could order per month - ie 2X 1.8 tip non qtr, 1X 2.8 qtr manual, etc.

Had a nice couple who looked at several brands and came to decide upon an A42.8 qtr manual in black with several other options. No such car was on any lot in the state or incoming. We talked price and I showed them edmunds and the locate result sheets. Went a few hundred less, but they obviously thought I was withholding something or wanted to shop more. They came back after a week having been lowballed. They offered 500 over invoice on a car that didn't exist. I declined them quickly and nicely and sent them on their way. Did a follow-up call after a few days and didn't get an answer. Forgot about them.

A month later they stroll into the dealer. No mention of being strung along, but it gets pretty obvious this is what another dealer has done. They are now ready to take an incoming car ( going to another dealer ) with a little more equipment but want the cost of the extra options deducted and the parts/options they want that the car does not have, added free of charge. I decline nicely again, and send them away.

Another month goes by and they show up again. By now, if they had ordered, the car would almost be there. They are now ready to accept my price on the car coming to another dealer any day. I call that dealer to see if the car is a special order, or has a customer deposit on it. They say they do not, but that they have been working with young couple. I ask them for the first names, and they match with my customers.

Dealer ettiquite when sharing a customer this way requires that the dealer with the car be able to try and sell it first, and has the right to veto the trade without hard feelings.

I had to go back and tell the customers that they would have drive 60 miles back to the other dealer and try to make their deal there as we were at the mercy of the dealer and could not poach their potential deal.

I've had this happen often. The Audi dealer world is still small. When the customer cross shops too aggressively, it drives up demand on that particular car and makes dealer trades much harder, or impossible. Thus the dealer who may be able to offer the lowest price, now is unable to do a dealer trade thanks to the customer stringing along too many dealers in the area.

Sometimes, you really can try too hard.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: No, we're not ALL like that, but...

you're not likely to see a lot of posts like "Where can I get the highest price on my new Audi?" I have seen people asking about dealership recommendations, etc. in addition to the regular "Is $XXXXX a fair price for a yyy?" I think people looking at Audi are people looking to get the most bang for their buck (vs. stereotypical MB & BMW buyers) and they're asking all the right questions in order to do so.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'll tell you,..... for $50.00
Old 08-10-2001, 12:58 PM

Default I think the real point is, give back what you get

If you go in wanting a fair deal and get dicked around, either shop elsewhere or grind them back.

If you get good treatment but can't get the last few hundred you want, don't sweat it. But as you say, it's all about balance. Don't just roll over right away and agree to pay more than you are comfortable with. See if you can do better, and if not go back and buy the car.
Old 08-10-2001, 01:01 PM

I'll tell you for your cost plus 5%, throw in the floor mats
Old 08-10-2001, 01:01 PM

Default But if they hadn't cross-shopped, they would have been too dumb

They just got carried away, but the basic premise was correct.
Old 08-10-2001, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Sure you don't want paint protectant and scotchgaurd ? It's only another $25 a month ! ;-)
Old 08-10-2001, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default They seemed too intelligent to burn all those bridges.

I told them to shop, but due to the scarcity of the car, I also warned them what could ( and did ) happen.

What a waste of everyone's time. They never did get an Audi.
Old 08-10-2001, 01:25 PM

Yes, Scotchguard please! There's no way I could possibly do that myself

Quick Reply: Are Audi buyers/owners uniquely cheap, tight-asses?