A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Beautiful S6 Avant blew up

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beautiful S6 Avant blew up

My gorgeous S6 with nearly every conceivable valid mod decided to drop its oil and throw a rod. The cost of replacement is extremely high so have decided to get a newer model. See the list of mods below. There is $25K of great parts, brakes, shocks, interior. It's amazing really. I am looking for an Audi recycle company who would be willing to buy the car for parts. Can anyone make a recommendation for the Atlanta region? This car is super clean and everything has been kept. The only other one like this I have ever seen belonged to the late Paul Walker. I hate to part with this car, but I have invested so much in her and unwilling to start over at this level. Thanks friends.
Attached Thumbnails Beautiful S6 Avant blew up-img_8819.jpg   Beautiful S6 Avant blew up-img_8801.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2017, 09:22 AM
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lovely S6

Originally Posted by SharkAttack (4.2go)
My gorgeous S6 with nearly every conceivable valid mod decided to drop its oil and throw a rod. The cost of replacement is extremely high so have decided to get a newer model. See the list of mods below. There is $25K of great parts, brakes, shocks, interior. It's amazing really. I am looking for an Audi recycle company who would be willing to buy the car for parts. Can anyone make a recommendation for the Atlanta region? This car is super clean and everything has been kept. The only other one like this I have ever seen belonged to the late Paul Walker. I hate to part with this car, but I have invested so much in her and unwilling to start over at this level. Thanks friends.
I'm so sorry to hear about this. My company is one such candidate company and I would not come close to doing financial justice to what you've done.

Demand for the C5 cars is low due to misconceptions about the reliability. Unless preventative maintenance includes renewing the pressure regulator in the lower front valve body, a pressure spike slips through and blows the A clutch drum. S6 cars are not immune. This can help you. For example, a couple of month ago, when my buy-yet-another-C5-A6 slush fund had less than $2000 in it, an S6 with a blown automatic transmission was for sale in the San Francisco Bay area for $2000. I lost that opportunity but one of these days I expect I'll be able to grab one and offer you the engine, so if you can keep your car "on ice" until then that might be a good "plan B."

Swapping engines is no small thing but downgrades might be easier than upgrades. So "plan C" is to buy a used normally-aspirated A6 4.2 engine from me and have my tech install it in your car and carefully mod the wiring without cutting or damaging anything, and while documenting every step so until you or I find a good S6 engine for you, you have a driveable 300 HP car. The work would make a cool tech article, not least since we might have to swap wiring harnesses and the ECU. My tech would love to do this so I wouldn't charge for her time, just the engine. Before you buy the engine you'd also get to borrow and drive the A6 containing that engine, for a few weeks so you can fall in love with the engine you're buying. or at least its reliability. Of course the engine will have had its timing belts replaced and would come with a warranty.

"Plan D" might be to flat out have my tech do the fix on your engine. She'd love it and she's good with high performance engines and she has a love for the 4.2 V8 and the turbo version especially. The price of her services would be lower since it'd be essentially a perk to her, and you wouldn't have to pay until and unless you're happy with the result, as in your car runs fine again and has done so for a number of weeks -- but I'd want your OK to write a tech article about the project and use it in my marketing.

I'm in Nevada and you're in Atlanta so we need to decide where the work gets done. Do you have large, clean, safe shop space that the Audi can occupy for weeks on end, and where the work can be done, without anyone caring?

~Tanya

Last edited by ocles_inc; 08-17-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:12 PM
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Humble Pie

So my brilliant tech has gently taken me aside, so to speak, and she has given me a detailed run-down of what makes an S6 different from an A6 4.2 and from an RS6. Turbos are on the RS6, not the S6, etc.

Anyway, more reason for me to endorse her as someone to work on your S6. :-)

~Tanya