A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Control Arm Swap - Progress Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control Arm Swap - Progress Pictures

Alright, so I got my control arms and only one part was wrong which was the lower control arm. But everything else is good, but I had a question. I think I might have bought sport-suspension off a A6 4.2L, it fits and everything is perfect but the springs are thinker and shocks are factory red, but not sure at all so I'm not gonna assume it is. So I'll ask is it?

So far its going good, waiting for the one part to be replaced and returned mine. Otherwise it looks so much better.. Parts are all good with upgraded tie rod. Here are some pictures of the drivers side, all impact, gutted, and than other stuff. Its a work in progress and wont be done tonight.

There is a picture of the passenger side lower control arm, you can see how its completely torn off, due to previous owner being an idiot. Also the springs are on the black carpet (red ones) are those sport?
Attached Images      
Old 08-07-2009, 04:20 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Nice!!! Yes, the red shocks are sport shocks.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Big job, looks to be going well. I cant answer on the sport springs, but you'll know when it hits the ground. Honestly, hoep hat they ARE the sport. Handles better / not obnoxious.

Grant
Old 08-07-2009, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Nice work man.

Originally Posted by Audi42LV8
Alright, so I got my control arms and only one part was wrong which was the lower control arm. But everything else is good, but I had a question. I think I might have bought sport-suspension off a A6 4.2L, it fits and everything is perfect but the springs are thinker and shocks are factory red, but not sure at all so I'm not gonna assume it is. So I'll ask is it?

So far its going good, waiting for the one part to be replaced and returned mine. Otherwise it looks so much better.. Parts are all good with upgraded tie rod. Here are some pictures of the drivers side, all impact, gutted, and than other stuff. Its a work in progress and wont be done tonight.

There is a picture of the passenger side lower control arm, you can see how its completely torn off, due to previous owner being an idiot. Also the springs are on the black carpet (red ones) are those sport?
I will need to get my CA's replaced at some point...hopefully sooner than later...they aren't that bad but they aren't getting any better, you know? So what kind of experience do you have with working on cars? Is this your first time changing CA's or have you done it before? I am just trying to gauge whether this is something I can do in my garage or if I should just save up and pay my mechanic to do it. I am all about saving money but I also want to make sure the job is done right.

Thanks,
Old 08-07-2009, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raddox
Is this your first time changing CA's or have you done it before? I am just trying to gauge whether this is something I can do in my garage or if I should just save up and pay my mechanic to do it. I am all about saving money but I also want to make sure the job is done right.
Not to over simplify as working on a car takes time, patience and some mechanical inclination, but I find the front suspension on these cars can...and I reiterate CAN...be relatively painless to deal with.

The problems you encounter are whether things like bolts are frozen or ball joints won't pop out. When I've had a frozen pinch bolt to deal with it meant big delays to try to drill the bolt out. When I had a lower CA ball joint that wouldn't pop loose it involved liberal use of a BFH until if finally came out. Even those situations can be overcome if you prepare for the worse case from the start.

To give you an idea, with no frozen bolts I've pulled one corner of a complete shock assembly and replaced the shock, springs and UCAs in about 90 minutes per side while taking my time. In a time crunch I've pulled the assembly, replaced UCAs and reinstalled everything in 30 minutes.

If you are patient, have the tools, the time and a good manual or DIY from the tech section it can be done. Problem is when you run into issues like I outlined. Just remember your mechanic will charge you the hourly rate if they get confronted with frozen bolts and stuff too. The other issue down the line that people run into is if they don't preload the suspension which ends up tearing CA bushings and wearing ball joints prematurely.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

wtf those tools /jacks/etc look disgusting..... you should have called me up, id roll over with some phatty tools and help a brutha out
Old 08-07-2009, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
Nice!!! Yes, the red shocks are sport shocks.
are you sure? i have the sport package and my shocks are black...
Old 08-07-2009, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raddox
I will need to get my CA's replaced at some point...hopefully sooner than later...they aren't that bad but they aren't getting any better, you know? So what kind of experience do you have with working on cars? Is this your first time changing CA's or have you done it before? I am just trying to gauge whether this is something I can do in my garage or if I should just save up and pay my mechanic to do it. I am all about saving money but I also want to make sure the job is done right.

Thanks,
I've done complete control arms on a 2001 Audi A4 1.8t FWD also, its an moderate job. Just gotta make sure your doing it right, cause there are things you could mess up. Mechanic would charge a lot, and gotta make sure that they know Audi's. I took it to a mechanic to check somethings out, they broke my window switches, and now just come out and than the plastic piece that covers ESP and Hazard switch. So, even though they said they know Audi.. They dont know ****. Better to DIY in my opinion.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Update -

So, I got the wrong front lower control arms. My 4.2L has the steel subframe, and they sent the wrong part. Who? Its deutschepartsusa from eBay. Do not purchase from this user. Here is what I got from the dude.

I tell him that I need two new front lower control arms because the ones I got in the kit were wrong and just need the two new front lowers. Anyway, I said cut me a deal because I bought a few parts from you. He doesn't. Than I tell him to send it out asap because my car is in the backyard and I gotta go to work and **** and this is my only transportation. I tell him not to send it with FedEx Ground or UPS Ground because I need it very fast. He sends it with FedEx Ground and takes 1 week. Ok, open the package and its the wrong part! So I call them and bitch them out and tell them to send with airmail because they're ****ing idiots. They said they were going to send it today with AirMail and looked today "Zero messages from him" called but goes straight to voicemail. Be aware of this scamming *** faggit, hes lucky that I bought them off an invoice not eBay because otherwise I'd leave him a super *** feedback.

Still waiting, cars still a mess with it all over the place. Parts are stored and ready to go but I'm waiting for this retard to answer. DO NOT PARTS from eBay User: deutschepartsusa <-- douchebag more like.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
wtf those tools /jacks/etc look disgusting..... you should have called me up, id roll over with some phatty tools and help a brutha out
They're working but retards send out wrong parts twice. So yeah pretty pissed. My car has been in the air for hmmm 2-weeks now? ****in retards cant send the right parts out.

Quick Reply: Control Arm Swap - Progress Pictures