A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Eibach/Bilstein or Stasis Motor Sport Coilovers for 2000 A6 4.2?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eibach/Bilstein or Stasis Motor Sport Coilovers for 2000 A6 4.2?

There are a lot of posts on the subject of suspension that I have reviewed. The new Stasis Motor Sport coilover setup seems like a well engineered, coordinated system for the heavy 4.2, but the Eibach springs with Bilstein dampers is a much less expensive application. There was a recent very positive post on the Eibach/Bilstein setup. Has anyone driven an A6 4.2 with that setup and one with the Stasis setup? If so, I would be interested in their impressions. I understand that the Eibach springs are about the same rate as stock springs. Stasis springs vary in rate depending upon one's preference, although I may begin with 600 lbs. front and 800 lbs. rear if I go with Stasis. I want to lower the car about 1.2 to 1.5 inches, so either system can do that (with the Stasis system ride heigth is adjustable).
Old 08-20-2003, 08:46 AM
Elder Member

Default Depends on what your looking for. If you just want to

lower the car some and get some better performing shock on a limited budget. Try the E/B set-up. If your going to track the car (not that you can't with the E/B's) and want, what is IMHO the ultimate set-up for the A6 suspension. Then I don't think Stasis can be beat. Go to the S4 forum and do a search on Stasis and I think you'll see what I mean.

Stasis Motor Sport for the A6 is just out if you give it a feww days you might get more info.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Eibach springs are firmer than the factory sport springs,

which are (naturally) firmer than the stock springs. For the 2.7T the sport springs are about 8-10% "firmer" than stock, and the Eibachs are about 15-20% firmer than stock...not sure about the 4.2 versions.

I have experience with stock, sport, and Eibach springs, and KW & H&R coil-overs on 2.7Ts. I have driven several A4/S4s with stock, H&R coil-overs, and Stasis street-sport coil-over suspensions.

IF, and it's a big IF, Stasis does for the A6 series what they did for the A4/S4 series their suspensions may justify the price difference. That's up to you.

Based on my experience, the Stasis suspension must be driven...to be believed. The on-road performance belies the "high" spring-rate #s. The "key" is the close adjustment of the shock rates to the selected springs...for the particular car and driver's wants.

I don't work for Stasis...get nothing for "tooting" their horn (wish I did, though...). I have driven their products and find them to be all they say. The price difference?...well, that's totally up to you.

If the so-called "ultimate" is not that important to you, the Eibach/Bilstein combo will (from what I've read here) be a great choice, and give you many enjoyable driving miles. I've had Bilsteins in the past ('96 A4Q) and loved them...but Stasis was not around then.

HTH