A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

ESP button broke or just stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you dont feel comfortable driving in the snow then by all means leave ESP on.

Also i simply dont like the idea of a computer limiting my abilities to drive my car. i feel confident enough in my driving that i think i can control the car better without ESP, in snow or any weather.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by redbullgotwings

you turn ESP off in the snow because you dont want the car to cut off power when you are sliding in an AWD. you want to power out of the slide. hit the gas and turn the wheel and you will pull right out of it, but with the ESP on you will just slide off the road.
This is wrong. the car senses the slide and augments wheel traction to correct it before you are even aware of it..... we have a mechanical center diff, it cant take away power electronically, but it can augment roll rate on the wheel similar to ABS.

The only reason to take it off is if you are on a race track and dont want the computer to correct the yaw rate...

if you think you are better then a computer when driving in the snow and reacting the millisecond wheel slip is detected, you really are stupid.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
i understand at the track, but honestly i dont think you need a button for that,

why would you want to disable it in the snow though?
Because you get stuck when the ESP cuts power. There are situations when only sheer power gets you out of a spot. You can thank Audi engineers for installing open differentials all around on this car.

you can disable the new jetta in the ECU via vag com i believe
Good to know! I hope it doesn't trigger a CEL or some other warning symbol.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
if you think you are better then a computer when driving in the snow and reacting the millisecond wheel slip is detected, you really are stupid.
Do you get snow where you live?

Regardless, ESP is for drivers who do not feel the car. What you want is mechanically limited slip differentials, none of this electronic make-shift solution.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I'm good with ESP, because it works

if you dont feel comfortable driving in the snow then by all means leave ESP on.

Also i simply dont like the idea of a computer limiting my abilities to drive my car. i feel confident enough in my driving that i think i can control the car better without ESP, in snow or any weather.
Keep in mind that I had an 01 without ESP with really no problems in snow with the same tires all season around, the 04 difference is a seasonal tire/rim change to real General Altimax Arctic snow's and actually between the great tire traction and ESP the car does a lot more amazing demanding feats then the 01 did in snow.

Our cars have 3 diff's with two open ones at each wheel axel so brake pecking one side throws the transfer as intended EDL unlike the center diff.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh please, really

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Regardless, ESP is for drivers who do not feel the car.
ESP will increase brake pressure to one wheel and peck, I'm not that good at emulating that feature when needed around a corner or swerving are you?
Old 04-14-2013, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jcman
ESP will increase brake pressure to one wheel and peck, I'm not that good at emulating that feature when needed around a corner or swerving are you?
lol see i like that response even though i do agree with GTA.
i might try out the ESP this winter and see if maybe i can handle better in the snow.
But either way, call me old school but i would rather have complete control over the car.

And 2.7Lturbo you are an *** hole, and you probably drive an automatic so shut your mouth.
I realize ESP is faster and better at reacting than i am. But i want COMPLETE control over my vehicle. Thats just me and my opinion.

Last edited by redbullgotwings; 04-14-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The order of anti-lock sytems

Gentelmen when we look at the order of these systems it's like this:

1) Anti-lock brakes, controls rpm's and wheel speed by brakes when stopping.
2) Traction control, same deal just when moving forward. 3) Audi's EDL, same deal to lock an open diff when moving forward.
4) Audi's ESP, same deal when turning.

All of the above control Brakes, RPM's and Trans faster than a human.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Old school LOL!

lol see i like that response even though i do agree with GTA.
i might try out the ESP this winter and see if maybe i can handle better in the snow.
But either way, call me old school but i would rather have complete control over the car.
Old school is me to a tee, I drove cars in snow without any of this stuff and never lost control.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

ya i mean this winter i will try it out and see how i really feel about it.
i know your facts are right. i just feel like there are certain circumstances that i will be pissed off at it.
i obviously cant use it when snow drifting but i think it will make me get stuck if i am in deep snow when i need the tires to spin in order to get out of the mess.

Quick Reply: ESP button broke or just stupid?