A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

ESP button broke or just stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP button broke or just stupid?

okay guys i have a 2001 audi A6 2.7t. This is my first Audi with ESP. i went to go shut it off today and the button didnt do anything physically, it pressed in and then popped right back out. I would have thought a light would have came on or the button would have stayed indented a little bit, but nothing physically changed about the appearance of the button. The roads were dry so i didnt wanna try and test it.

So should the ESP button give me some sign that it is on or off? Or do i just trust that when i press it, its off.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

A light should come on in the cluster to tell you that it is off... the button is a single click, it wont change physically at all. If ESP is on and your wheels start to spin freely, the light will also blink to tell you that it is working.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by redbullgotwings
okay guys i have a 2001 audi A6 2.7t. This is my first Audi with ESP. i went to go shut it off today and the button didnt do anything physically, it pressed in and then popped right back out. I would have thought a light would have came on or the button would have stayed indented a little bit, but nothing physically changed about the appearance of the button. The roads were dry so i didnt wanna try and test it.

So should the ESP button give me some sign that it is on or off? Or do i just trust that when i press it, its off.
.... just stupid
Old 04-13-2013, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redbullgotwings

You should see a triangle in a circle with an exclamation mark in the instrument cluster when ESP is off. When ESP is on, you should not see it. It is inside the tachometer.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
.... just stupid
and there it is.
lol ya im dumb. i didnt even think to look on the dash i was looking for the esp button itself to do something.

ya my esp is fine im just a dumb ***

thanks for the help guys lol im glad i can make an *** of myself in front of you guys instead of in front of my mechanic
Old 04-14-2013, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

thats what we're here for

no worries, its stupid that they even have a button. other then showing off, i cant think of any time i would ever have to turn off esp...
Old 04-14-2013, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
thats what we're here for

no worries, its stupid that they even have a button. other then showing off, i cant think of any time i would ever have to turn off esp...
In the snow, and at the track. I thank them for having te button to turn it off. Unlike the new Jetta which you can't do anything about and it must suck in the winter.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
In the snow, and at the track. I thank them for having te button to turn it off. Unlike the new Jetta which you can't do anything about and it must suck in the winter.
i understand at the track, but honestly i dont think you need a button for that,

why would you want to disable it in the snow though?

you can disable the new jetta in the ECU via vag com i believe
Old 04-14-2013, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

ya i believe you can turn the esp off in the new jetta's via VCDS

but i turn off ESP every time i drive. IMO i think its stupid that they have it. I had a 99 and there wasnt any ESP at all, thats the way it should be.

you turn ESP off in the snow because you dont want the car to cut off power when you are sliding in an AWD. you want to power out of the slide. hit the gas and turn the wheel and you will pull right out of it, but with the ESP on you will just slide off the road.

Also SNOW DRIFTING!!!!
Old 04-14-2013, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Northeast Ohio and Snow

I have it on my 04 and my impression was that you turn it off if your stuck and need traction only, I never turned it off on a snow covered road or really at all without any traction or drift problems other then one time in a snow covered parking lot doing the old crazy-8's yee haw thing to stop the rpm limiting and the flashing dash light.

ESP just sense's the yaw rate to peck at that corner and will enact EDL in a different way outside of primitive straight-line traction control systems.

Quick Reply: ESP button broke or just stupid?