A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Exhaust upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Take it easy, guys. I'm trying to save you money. The 2.8 is a great engine, super reliable and reasonably economical. It is not a super powerful engine it is not readily modable. By the time you add a hot air intake, louder exhaust, different spark plugs and whatever else you can think of, you'd be better off selling the car and buying the 2.7.

Be smart and start with the right platform. All this has been hashed and re-hashed in the archives.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:55 PM
GBW
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nashmd454 and PhreakyMike – 36 combined posts and valued members since March/May 2009

I realize you’re new here. There’s a collection of information and experience here that you’re unaware of, and I hope you will add your experience and knowledge….but attacking somebody because it isn’t what you want to hear or believe really isn’t going to get you anywhere.
The truth is, short of supercharging the 2.8, there isn’t much you can do with this platform. 4driver4 has been here a long time and has seen it all on the forum. But more importantly, he’s a former ASE mechanic, HPDE instructor, and holds a BOD position in a chapter of the Audi club. He’s built an S6 to die for; custom tuned his Miata and has forgotten more than we’ll ever know. You’re shooting the messenger. Your responses, besides being off base, are disrespectful.

Amazingly, despite the split of the forum, he’s still here providing exceptional advice while most of his peers have moved to a different forum. You’re lucky to have him here; there isn’t much true knowledge left here anymore.

The truth is, this forum is becoming Audizine, where the focus is on “drilled rotors, loud exhausts, hot air intakes, 20 inch boat anchor wheels and other crap”…in short everything but what an Audi is about. I wish you the best regardless of your opinions or treatment of others.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:13 PM
No Bozos!

Oh ye of little faith. Not everyone has left. There's still a lot of knowledge here. LOL
Old 05-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

considering it takes someone to elicit my anger...you sure have come to defend someone who offered none but beration. You say disrespectful...I say your a hypocrite then. In my short time here I have learned 2 things...the one you defend...and has the most knowledge and could be helpful and was not...and one of the members from my jeep forum who happens to be here as well told me about the stoney site that would help a newb (only on audi's) like me out. Instead I get the grand masters sarcasm and his puppet making fun of 36 posts and me in general...yep...I was right....a hypocrite. Make that 3 lessons....I can see why most have left this site now.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

so if I may make another fine observation....GBW....if this is turning into audizine as you say with all the "other crap" and so forth...why is half your sig full of those same things? HMM makes one wonder what you were thinking when you berated myself and phreakymike. I read the posts over and over...I saw that disrespect went both ways and then I acknowledged that "he" would be very helpful...even sent a pm to ask him wtf...but??????
Old 05-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Take it easy, guys. I'm trying to save you money. The 2.8 is a great engine, super reliable and reasonably economical. It is not a super powerful engine it is not readily modable. By the time you add a hot air intake, louder exhaust, different spark plugs and whatever else you can think of, you'd be better off selling the car and buying the 2.7.

Be smart and start with the right platform. All this has been hashed and re-hashed in the archives.
4driver4...first let me start by saying that I apologize with my responses to you...I do understand that newby questions become redundant...and I may have caught you in a off day...I would love to learn from you and know more about these vehicles. I have had a love for them for sometime and am willing to learn. I am sorry to see that I did not choose a great platform to start off with. I am not looking to build a racer or ricer...but just a nice looking vehicle that rides smoothly and can get out of her own way. OK.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default I apologize...

...if the quality of my responses does not meet your high standards. They certainly were not designed to upset you.

As I have said repeatedly, enjoy your car.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

my fault bro...like I said...I am a newb on these cars and should not have reacted the way I did...I would have done the same on my other forum. So all is well. Thanks.

I would like to know... (I am reading and reading stoneys facts) and have yet to find some questions. I realize that if speed was what I wanted then I should have gone turbo...like the 2.7 you mentioned...but...I would like to make this one last and have a little better response to it.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you really want to improve what you have, I think you should focus on non-engine mods...

such as H-sport sways which really help the car stay flat on the twisties (no body lean), better tires, and perhaps lighter wheels if that is in your budget (but stay 17" or below). You'll probably feel the benefits of those things more than you will any incremental gains from exhaust or air intakes of any sort. As 4driver4 said previously, there is little you can do to make the car faster, so why not make it at least more "enjoyable" to drive?

Just my humble two cents.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

sway bar and tires are a upgrade that is planned. I am still reading on the stoney's site to see what size tire can fit on a 16 other than the oem 205/55/16. I was thinking 225/50/16 but like I said...I am still reading. I do know the higher (17's) I go the more expensive the rubber too. Hence my wanting to stay at 16's.

Quick Reply: Exhaust upgrade