A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Exhaust upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nashmd454
sway bar and tires are a upgrade that is planned. I am still reading on the stoney's site to see what size tire can fit on a 16 other than the oem 205/55/16. I was thinking 225/50/16 but like I said...I am still reading. I do know the higher (17's) I go the more expensive the rubber too. Hence my wanting to stay at 16's.
Not a bad idea to stick with 16s because yes, price does jump up when you go to 17s, and even more so when you take the next jump to 18s. You could probably do 215-55-16 tires (those were the stock size on my previous A6 2001 2.7T). I am not sure a 225 tire on the 16x7" wheel is a good idea. I think the 225 tire is better suited for a 7.5" wide wheel.

Glad to hear that you are looking at Stoneys Links. TONS of info (most just archived threads from AudiWorld), and lots of inspiration for A6 owners!!! Keep reading!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that it is jalot of archived threads and not really links to what most are talking about...so in that aspect I will still be wondering. I hear alot of things on ross tech or pac man or whatever that thing is to read and fix codes. I am not up to snuff on the metric system and so when everyone starts quotong mm backspacing and offset in rims I am lost. I guess I will stick with what tirerack has to offer. 215 it is then.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hey nashmd454,

when i owned my C5 A6 2.8, i had been looking for a decent exhaust system for at least three or so years before giving up.

im surprised you found one from borla, i did not know they made systems for our car. i guess i was always looking for an a6 version of the brands most of the A4 owners use like Milltek.

anyways, there aren't many performance products, but there is a supercharger system made by PES that does a good job of making the 2.8 motor surpass even the 4.2 motor. I'm not sure how long the stock engine would survive the punishment, but if you want the power, I believe that is the only way to go.

GIAC makes a chip that improves the performance of the Tiptronic transmission. I think they also have an ECU reflash as well.

I would assume that the stock exhaust is heavy and restrictive just by looking at it. You should be able to get measurable performance by going with an aftermarket, but as most everyone has mentioned - even getting the 200hp engine to 225hp, would not really give you much performance, despite requiring in the thousands of dollars of mod's to a car depreciating by the day.

Good luck though and enjoy the car.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Supersprint makes headers for the 2.8.....

Had them on my A4....
Old 05-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am not after a lot of performance...as I have learned from 4driver4 this car I have is more for comfort and such...but I only would like for it to respond a little quicker...it is smooth but no tq it feels like. That is why I went with the cai (hai to some) and was looking into a upgrade for exhaust. Even a oem replacement would be better than the rusted one I have now. I am awaiting my new tires and rims to come in and I will install them along with my cross-drilled/slotted rotors and ebc pads.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ArtsA6Q
hey nashmd454,

when i owned my C5 A6 2.8, i had been looking for a decent exhaust system for at least three or so years before giving up.

im surprised you found one from borla, i did not know they made systems for our car. i guess i was always looking for an a6 version of the brands most of the A4 owners use like Milltek.

anyways, there aren't many performance products, but there is a supercharger system made by PES that does a good job of making the 2.8 motor surpass even the 4.2 motor. I'm not sure how long the stock engine would survive the punishment, but if you want the power, I believe that is the only way to go.

GIAC makes a chip that improves the performance of the Tiptronic transmission. I think they also have an ECU reflash as well.

I would assume that the stock exhaust is heavy and restrictive just by looking at it. You should be able to get measurable performance by going with an aftermarket, but as most everyone has mentioned - even getting the 200hp engine to 225hp, would not really give you much performance, despite requiring in the thousands of dollars of mod's to a car depreciating by the day.

Good luck though and enjoy the car.
All of the Above are words of wisdom...Good Post. [/nonsarcastic] if you do believe you can get more out of the motor by fabbing' a turbo kit on to a 2.8 V6 DOHC with only 200hp..., you will be the first to do it. get a used PES supercharger on Ebay and that's the biggest gain.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by JimmyC83
All of the Above are words of wisdom...Good Post. [/nonsarcastic] if you do believe you can get more out of the motor by fabbing' a turbo kit on to a 2.8 V6 DOHC with only 200hp..., you will be the first to do it. get a used PES supercharger on Ebay and that's the biggest gain.
*thumbs up*
Old 05-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

well....I hate to post in the same thread on things...but there is an upgrade by subtraction. I went to install my new brake pads and rotors and rims and tires yesterday. I found out the rotors were just a bit too big. I ordered them off ebayf rmy model...the company has been great with keeping great contact and sending out another set. So I installed my ebc green stuff pads and tires. While I had them all apart I painted up the calipers a nice silver color(looks great)and the green pads match the color of the car...tires look sweet in my opinion. While I had it in the air I removed the h-type section after the cats and before the mufflers (resonator?)and now it has a little more of a throaty rumble. I am awaiting the new rotors and have also installed some cool leds inside and out. The flashers for the blinkers I got the dual color ones...white and then turn yellow when blinking. I have pics on my photobucket website...I will try to add that here.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454/?
Old 05-30-2009, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default what a dick!

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
I'm saying that you have a 3600 lbs car with 200 hp and an automatic transmission (an assuption). For the engine and the tuning, the stock exhaust is adequate. Your Borla may unlease a few (very few) more ponies, but is in general not going to do much for you.

My suggestion would be to bank all the money you are ready to drop on drilled rotors, loud exhausts, hot air intakes, 20 inch boat anchor wheels and other crap. Save up for a car that has more potential.

This is not a slam on either you or the car. It's just not the right car for where you want to go with it. It's a slow, heavy eurocruiser. V-TEC is not going to kick in, yo.

Again, it's your car, so do what you want.

REALLY?? WHY DO YOU HAVE TO TALK DOWN TO PEOPLE? I HAVE A 4.2 WITH MILLTEK EXHAUST BUT I USED TO HAVE A 2.8 AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH TRYING TO MAKE YOUR RIDE BETTER.... DONT WORRY ABOUT THESE BITTER HATERS OUT HERE...
Old 05-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

4driver4 was only pointing out the obvious to me....I must have caught him on a bad day...we all have them....we are cool now and I appreciate the help and forsight he has given to me since. No need to be mean to him...I am cool with it.

Quick Reply: Exhaust upgrade