A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Help! Alarm system problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2001, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Alarm system problems

I thought the built-in alarm system was supposed to be armed when the red light is flashing.

I left the windows down one day...the alarm didn't go off, even when I stuck my head in and waved my arms around. Then, I tried arming the alarm while sitting inside the car. It armed (and the red lights began flashing), but even when I rocked back and forth and waved my arms, no alarm.

I tried both the on and off positions for the button by the door opening (next to the trunk button).

Looks like, if the windows are down, I can reach inside, open the door, sit down and wave my arms without the alarm going off. What's up with that?

Also, the alarm sounds way too polite anyhow, kinda like "toot toot...when you have a chance, perhaps you'll look this way, but if you're busy, I understand. Go about your business. It's nothing that important. Sorry for disturbing you."
Old 04-01-2001, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Let them steel it....and keep it

I have had enough of those darn alarms go off in the middle of the night, beeping waking me up when owners get home on ungodly times of the night,for me to care if anybodys car get stolen or not.

My LEXUS never beeped, the A6 is close to decent, and my alarm has never gone off. EVER. I believe in helping others, but not when they let the alarm go off every time they enter their vehicle or arm their alarms.

So I will rather let my car get stolen, than bother my neighborhood with an alarm, that nobody would do anything about anyhow.

Anybody know how to turn the slight beep off? No I haven't taken the time to read the handbook.

So, sorry pal, keep flailing your arms, I hope your alarm will never go off!
Old 04-01-2001, 06:04 PM

Default I take offense to that.

For one thing, it's a very inconsiderate statement. Secondly, other than the lights flashing 3 times on my other car, you wouldn't know that I have an alarm system for 3 years now. It has never "accidentally" gone off except for when I purposefully set it off at the dealership to ensure it worked.

I agree with you that car alarms can be annoying. It can be like the boy who cried wolf. Several years ago, I lived in an apartment where someone who parked down the street owned one of those vibration sensitive alarms. Every time a truck would pass, his alarm would go off. After 4 months, all the neighbors gathered and told him we would file a legal complaint unless he immediately turned the sensitivity down to something reasonable.

But back to me. I worked long and hard to save up for my car and am an exceedingly considerate neighbor and driver. Don't make me tell you where to stick a motion sensor or you'll have to move that vibrator out of the way.
Old 04-01-2001, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Possible Solution

My alarm will go off when you leave the windows down if I even throw an object inside on the seat, also if I wave my hands in. Something most be wrong with your sensors system!

The beep when the alarm is set can be programed to be deleted. See other areas of this forum for the information.
Old 04-02-2001, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Help! Alarm system problems

I believe that there is a button on the drivers door pillar that will arm/disarm the interior motion sensors. If I remember right, it is the top of the two buttons to the left of the drivers seat. The other button is the remote release for the trunk latch. Try pushing the top button once and then check out the motion sensors.
Old 10-18-2001, 05:08 AM

Default Alarm problems, I cant get my car to start, PLEASE Help

I have an 1989 Audi 100, somtimes the car will not start, the only way i can get the car to work is to get out of the car, lock the drivers door. Then go to the passager's side front door and unlock the door -which will unlock all the doors at the same time. Then put the key in the switch and the car will start right up. This has been going on for a year. Then today when my car would not start, I went to the passangers side door to go thru this procedure and then, the lock would not unlock the door.

I can get into the drivers door, but the car will not start. This car has a an aftermarket radio. PLEASE HELP....