A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Help...Power folding mirror issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help...Power folding mirror issue

I have an 04 a6 2.7t and I have developed an issue with my power folding mirror option. I have done a search here but can't seem to find anyone that has asked this going back to 05. Here is the issue:

When I go to switch the **** to unfold the mirrors and put them in driving position, my drivers side mirror stops at the right spot, but then continues to unfold to the point that the mirror is facing away from the car. What I am hearing is the motor for the drivers mirror run and when the mirror is in the correct place, the motor seems to bog own and push the mirror further.

I noticed this problem on a windy day. I parked the car, folded in the mirrors and when I got out the wind took my door and whipped it open. I am not sure if the force was strong enough to fold out my mirror, but is it possible that it did and now the mirror and the gears are not lined up? To the point that the motor pushes the mirror in what it thinks is the right spot, but really it is over extended.

I would appreciate any help on this as I love this feature and use it daily. I just don't want to have to roll down the windows to pull the mirror back in the right spot every time it over extends. Just one more thing, when I fold in the mirrors, they both fold in fine to the fold position.

Any help or insight to what the problem is would be much appreciated. I am hoping it is something simple I can fix and not pay the dealer to fix. Thanks,
The following users liked this post:
Flier1 (02-04-2020)
Old 08-15-2011, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NVThs1
I have an 04 a6 2.7t and I have developed an issue with my power folding mirror option. I have done a search here but can't seem to find anyone that has asked this going back to 05. Here is the issue:

When I go to switch the **** to unfold the mirrors and put them in driving position, my drivers side mirror stops at the right spot, but then continues to unfold to the point that the mirror is facing away from the car. What I am hearing is the motor for the drivers mirror run and when the mirror is in the correct place, the motor seems to bog own and push the mirror further.

I noticed this problem on a windy day. I parked the car, folded in the mirrors and when I got out the wind took my door and whipped it open. I am not sure if the force was strong enough to fold out my mirror, but is it possible that it did and now the mirror and the gears are not lined up? To the point that the motor pushes the mirror in what it thinks is the right spot, but really it is over extended.

I would appreciate any help on this as I love this feature and use it daily. I just don't want to have to roll down the windows to pull the mirror back in the right spot every time it over extends. Just one more thing, when I fold in the mirrors, they both fold in fine to the fold position.

Any help or insight to what the problem is would be much appreciated. I am hoping it is something simple I can fix and not pay the dealer to fix. Thanks,
Hi, searching the various Audi forums for a solution to my door mirror problem I came across your posting above. This is exactly the problem I'm experiencing (but with both door mirrors) - did you find a resolution?

Malcolm
Old 06-02-2014, 01:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a crazy-old thread, but I have the same issue. It's like the computer thinks the proper unfolder position of the mirror is way too far outward, where the mirror itself is facing completely away from the car. Does anyone know how to recalibrate the position or any other way to fix this issue?
Old 06-02-2014, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Don't know for sure, but there's a lot of info on the web regarding this stuff on other VW products..upshot is fold the mirrors in manually and the controller should reset.
Search/google audi folding mirror reset or some such search string.

YMMV.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I fixed it! I didn't find any info (other that some tutorial where the guy actually took apart the mirror), but I played around with it without taking anything apart and managed to get it fixed. Here's the procedure that worked:

- Turn the switch inside the car to the folded position. The mirrors should fold successfully.
- Manually unfold the problematic mirror a little bit. You'll feel it unhook from the mechanism that moves it.
- Push it back to fold it. In my case it did NOT snap back into the moving mechanism. This is key. If it does snap in, unfold it again and fold, but not all the way - stop just before it snaps in.
- Turn the switch to the unfolded position. The rotating mechanism on the problematic mirror should make noise and move inside the mirror, without actually moving the mirror for some time, then finally hook on (snap into place) and unfold the mirror to the correct position.

So there you have it. No need to do any programming or take anything apart.
beauregaardhooligan (06-05-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by todor
I fixed it! I didn't find any info (other that some tutorial where the guy actually took apart the mirror), but I played around with it without taking anything apart and managed to get it fixed. Here's the procedure that worked:

- Turn the switch inside the car to the folded position. The mirrors should fold successfully.
- Manually unfold the problematic mirror a little bit. You'll feel it unhook from the mechanism that moves it.
- Push it back to fold it. In my case it did NOT snap back into the moving mechanism. This is key. If it does snap in, unfold it again and fold, but not all the way - stop just before it snaps in.
- Turn the switch to the unfolded position. The rotating mechanism on the problematic mirror should make noise and move inside the mirror, without actually moving the mirror for some time, then finally hook on (snap into place) and unfold the mirror to the correct position.

So there you have it. No need to do any programming or take anything apart.
perfect! that worked for me too! mirror seems to have self adjusted where its supposed to!
beauregaardhooligan (06-05-2023)