A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

How come we don't hear much chat about the new BMW 530?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02' 530 against 02' 2.7TSports with new ContiSport2, sports shift and improvements? Bring it on..

C&D list seems to have 2001 models as well as 2002s. E.g., the BMW 3 series looked like an '01 version, I think. Maybe C&D forgot to delete some BMWs from their 2000 article...

Hope there will be tests of the 2002 models soon: A62.7T sports, BMW530, Lexus GS300, Mercedes E Class, etc.
and the appropriate models against the A64.2
Old 12-10-2001, 12:17 PM

Ahhh, they don't make the 528i anymore. The 530i, BTW, is not too bad.
Old 12-10-2001, 04:48 PM

Default I replaced my '00 2.7T with a 530 and.....?

there are some things I miss like quattro and the 2.7T thrust. But overall, the 530 is better - better handling, MUCH better stereo than the Bose, better steering wheel, better shifting position, smoother engine, index on steering wheel scans presets, etc. It's a better thought out and executed car than the 2.7T. However, I did prefer being anonymous with the Audi. Everyone now says congratulations when they find out you bought a BMW whereas no one noticed the Audi. Then there were the problems with the Audi.............other than that - a great car, almost as good as the A4 I had prior!
Old 12-11-2001, 07:16 AM

Default What was your former Screen Name on this forum? Are you a BMW staff, have too much time on your

hands, just miss this Forum too much OR ...? Interesting that you would be here specifically for this discussion, after selling your 2.7T and never having posted before on this forum as 530guy. At least show your e-mail address in your post.

If you are comparing the '00 2.7T against the '02 530, then a few of your comments may be valid. Others are not. But they are mostly not valid if you compare the '02 models of both cars. Eventually there will be objective comparison tests done of both 02 cars hopefully by more competent drivers than you or i.

Overall, the '02 2.7T Sports is the most complete... all round... go anywhere... in any weather or condition... 365-day-a-year... midsize luxury performance sedan. No other car offers as complete a package or does so many things so well as the 2.7T in everyday driving situations in this price range at this point in time. It's an excellent blend of luxury, fun every season, power, control, performance, comfort, cabin space, quality materials, safety, beautiful looks and exclusivity. And best bang for the buck. Of course, I'm looking at the big picture....

Not sure what you mean by anonymity. I have been receiving congratulations by too many people since I got my 02 2.7T last month, to a point of annoyance. However, I realize that these people are very knowledgeable about cars. But you're absolutely right in implying that the uninformed, larger population recognizes and blindly reacts to the BMW or Mercedes brand more. Receiving congratulations from such people mean nothing to me. I'd rather remain "anonymous" in the company of parochial imbeciles and wannabes.

But I agree that the BMW's Harman/Kardon is slightly better than the A6 BOSE stereo. And the steering wheel audio controls could have one more function for radio station scanning. And the BMW automatic shifter is very marginally more precise than the '02 2.7T, but not by much unless your attention is focused on it rather than the road. But these are relatively minor things in the big picture. Audi has made good improvements for the '02 model.

I have a Harman/Kardon system for my computer, a Bose Acoustimass 5 series speakers in one of my other rooms and an even better system in my family room. I agree that the A6 Bose system simply does not give the rich quality, clean, panoramic sound you'd expect from Bose or a car in this price range. Regardless, the BMW's stereo system is nothing compared to even the Lexus Mark Levinson or Volvo AudioMax systems. Have you have heard them? So, on your stereo criteria alone, one could say that a Lexus ES300 or Volvo S60 is a better car than a BMW 530 or A6.
Old 12-11-2001, 09:01 AM

Default Former screen name was...

bzwill. e-mail bzwill@aol.com. I tend to agree with your posting. I would like to see Car and Driver to a head-to-head on them because they're about the same price, but different target market with the quattro. The only head-to-head I've seen is Consumer Reports and that was the automatic and the base model. I'd like to see someone compare the sport and 5/6 speed. I had the 6 speed. It had a better clutch than the 530. I am a musician and the 530 upgraded audio - almost 2x the cost of the audi/bose system is sufficient once I tweaked the equalizer. I'm sure the Mark Levinson is great, but in a car, you can only get to a certain level and the 530 system is close enough. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-11-2001, 09:53 AM

Default Welcome back bizwill/530guy. If I had a musician's ears, I would be irritated hearing CDs thru

the A6 Symphony/Bose system. I'm having a hard time as it is, and my dealer has agreed to change the Symphony CD head unit. Audi/Bose needs to improve this. But the '02 model radio reception seems to be better than past models. I think you will appreciate the premium Mark Levinson system on the LS/SC 430 or Volvo S60's AudioMax. It does take car audio systems to the next level, even with the sound variables in a car.

I'm not sure I would find Consumers Reports credible on luxury cars. But C&D should be good enough. However, C&D's 10 best may have included some 2001 models (BMW3series?), so I'm wondering whether they have even tested the 02 2.7T. Even better, I would love to understand how the Germans compare these German cars.

In any case, they are both excellent cars.
Old 12-11-2001, 04:42 PM

Default You are absolutely correct - it was a very irritating system for

CD's and I tried to contact Bose to seek more info to no avail. While the sub had mid-bass boom, the brashness of the mid's was unbearable even when trying to adjust with the hidden equalizer. I'll have to listen to the LS430 some day - it won a comparo that one of the car magazines did in premium luxury sound systems. I don't think C&D ever tested the 2.7TM though they've tested the 4.2 plenty. The 2.7T '02 sport would be a great test vs. the 530 Sport, not that it's at parity on power, but the price is nearly identical. Like Chuck540, who I see on the bimmer board, I think this is a much better board. All the best.