A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

How do you launch your S6 or 2.7T?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 134 Likes on 85 Posts
Default How do you launch your S6 or 2.7T?

The RS6 section appears to always be dead so I thought I would ask my Audi brethren with autos how they get the best launch on their car. I have seen lots of conflicting answers on the googler.
How mine launches the hardest is to turn off the ESP, foot hard on the brake, nail the throttle and the second it gets to 2000 RPM I side step the brake pedal and the RS6 just takes off so violently that I am afraid to do it because I don't want to blow up anything. No weird noises other than the creak the seat lets out when my fat *** gets pushed hard into it. But it launches so dang hard, I have never owned a car that gets to 30 so quickly before. I have launched it twice like that. First time to see how the car would respond and the second time was an hour latter when a Corvette C6 called me out. I put 3 cars on him instantly! LOL

But is that too violent of a way to launch the car? Are there better ways to launch it that is easier on the drive-line? In the 3 days I have owned this car I have spent $2500 in repairs. Id hate to blow the trans.

Last edited by LaserSVT; 09-05-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by georgeb944
If you continue to drive it like that, you will blow the trans.

I have owned one of my two 2.7T A6 cars for 12 years and have put 160K miles on it in that time. I have probably spent $2500 on repairs in that time.

I have owned other turbo cars (5000TQ, Porsche 944 Turbo) and have come to the conclusion that every time you step on the accelerator in a turbo car, money is flowing out of your pocket. Maybe only a little bit at a time, but eventually you will notice the cash flow.

Needless to say, my approach is different than yours, but I do my racing on the track, not on the street.
Hey thanks! Managed to completely ignore the questioning yet still get a few jabs in. I think I will get along just fine here. I don't typically play on the street but will sometimes if the setting is right. No sense in getting an RS6 as opposed to a CVT 3.0 otherwise.
As for the repairs I have done it was replacing broken and missing trim pieces as well as new pads (Alcon pads are some bucks) and all the timing components/water pump since I am not sure if it was done at 70k or not.

That being said I would like to know a less harsh way to launch the car that will still yield a good 0-60 time.

When I had my 02 S4 I would turn off the ESP off, nail the throttle and as it hit 4000rpm I would side step the clutch and the thing really took off. After a couple dozen launches like that I was replacing the clutch and this was in 03. Now that I am older I take better care of my toys of which I had many. 2 996 Turbos, 3 944 Turbos, 6 RX-7 FCs, 2 RX7 FDs, 5 regular Cobras and two blown ones, my custom built blown Mark VIII etc etc.

I really like this RS6 and want to have fun with it but do not wish to hurt it.

So if one of your 2.7s are auto, what do you do to get a brisk launch? Just put it in gear and mash the loud pedal?
Old 09-05-2015, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well with your rs6 being a Tip plan on the Trans needing to be rebuilt somewhere between now and 200k miles.... Personally I plan on doing a 6 speed manual swap when mine goes south...

As far as how to do a hard launch, I'm not that sure... I currently have an 01 s4 (2.7) and an 03 s6 (4.2) due to the known weak zf transmissions in both cars I didn't do anything thing crazy for launching other than stepping on the go peddle... That being said a stock 2.7 has a huge amount of turbo lag, but is a ton of fun when the turbos kick in (Im assuming the rs6 about the same), the 4.2 in the s6 is almost as fast but is just smooth as butter!

As far as launching with a Tip, unless someone else has a better suggestion, I would just stomp on the go peddle and call it good 😀 otherwise I would fear you would risk a very early demise of your transmission.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you for that info. I am thinking of servicing the trans when I do the timing belt, not sure when/if it has ever been done. People used to buy into that "lifetime service" BS they used to claim.

The launch at 2000 was just so violent and hard I knew it had to be hell on the trans. The RS6 has all of its torque available by 2000 RPM so I knew I was asking to much. I tried just slightly loading it at 1100 RPM and then two stepped to a WOT after releasing the brake. It was nice and smooth and built its boost quickly and smoothly. It wasnt as quick but it was still mighty fast and seemed like a whole lot less stress on the trans.

I remembered that the Current GTRs had dropped their launch control RPMs by 1000 and that stopped them from eating up their transmissions.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just picked up my S6 with 82k and it has 85.5k on it now, and a leaking middle Diff rear seal and 3 outer cv boots that need to be done. So I'm going to do all the drive line fluids, Trans filter, cv boots (inspect CVs at that time) rear Diff seal, change all Diff fluids etc, new spark plugs, fuel filter, check all other filters etc...

Just good general maintenance 😀
Old 09-05-2015, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nice. These are just such wonderful cars. My two performance sedans were a 2001 BMW 740i-M Sport (not an M, just all the nice bits) and then my 99 Jaguar XJR with some minor mods. They were both great cars but this Audi is leaps and bounds better.
I almost bought an S6 a few times but then this RS6 showed up for a ridiculous price and I closed my shop early to go buy it.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm really happy with the s6 but I would have loved an rs6! I do miss the turbos on my s4,but I know someone who added rs turbos to their s8 when they did a six speed swap so I could maybe do that and then I would have a station wagon that really halls a$$ hehe. But we'll when I get to that point.