A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Just got a 04 A6 2.7t, advice to keep or not

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually read about it yesterday, I googled and and couldnt find the abbreviation meaning lol. So even if I dont uae triptonic itll still fail eventually? Should I be worries ahoit turbos blowing too or aa long as I dont ride the car too hard ill be fine?
Old 12-03-2014, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by j2195
I actually read about it yesterday, I googled and and couldnt find the abbreviation meaning lol. So even if I dont uae triptonic itll still fail eventually? Should I be worries ahoit turbos blowing too or aa long as I dont ride the car too hard ill be fine?
If you take care of the car and don't beat it up the transmission should last. Turbos are turbos. They can last for a very long time. But can fail at any time. If they aren't making the dentist drill sound then leave them be.
If you plan on doing some major work to the car then either rebuild them or replace them.
The dilemma is that you have an 04 like I do. Not much you can do besides a tune, intake, and exhaust.
Since I had to pull my motor I knocked out the pre-cats at the turbo and replaced my torque converter with a stage 2 along with the above.

If you want to go bigger then you will want to look at a 6sp manual swap since our transmissions cant hold much more than 400hp.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by deviantirish
If you take care of the car and don't beat it up the transmission should last. Turbos are turbos. They can last for a very long time. But can fail at any time. If they aren't making the dentist drill sound then leave them be.
If you plan on doing some major work to the car then either rebuild them or replace them.
The dilemma is that you have an 04 like I do. Not much you can do besides a tune, intake, and exhaust.
Since I had to pull my motor I knocked out the pre-cats at the turbo and replaced my torque converter with a stage 2 along with the above.

If you want to go bigger then you will want to look at a 6sp manual swap since our transmissions cant hold much more than 400hp.

my first a6 buddy lol, what caused you to pull the motor? and im guessing it didnt cost to much in labor just the parts since you pulled it? im okay with the size, gonna get it tuned up and see where im at
Old 12-03-2014, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

gracias amigo.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

my first a6 buddy lol, what caused you to pull the motor? and im guessing it didnt cost to much in labor just the parts since you pulled it? im okay with the size, gonna get it tuned up and see where im at
The timing belt went out. It was easier and more cost efficient to just order a used motor than tearing the heads down and having them re done.
Since it was out figured I would replace the Torque converter and do the piggy downpipe mod.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The timing belt went out. It was easier and more cost efficient to just order a used motor than tearing the heads down and having them re done.
Since it was out figured I would replace the Torque converter and do the piggy downpipe mod.
ahh was it due to tempature you think or you just waited a little too long to change it? cause normally you would just have to take off the bumper to replace the belt right? but i've read about how bad it can mess the engine up if its not replaced every 40-60,000 miles or so
Old 12-03-2014, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

ahh was it due to tempature you think or you just waited a little too long to change it? cause normally you would just have to take off the bumper to replace the belt right? but i've read about how bad it can mess the engine up if its not replaced every 40-60,000 miles or so
Actually it was due to a bad mechanic at tge Audi dealership the previous owner took it to to have the timing belt done. Broke the housing around the cam gear and glued it instead of replacing it. 5 years Ayer it let loose and the belt picked it up.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

These cars are very nice. Maintenance can be a bit to keep up. But with the knowledge base of this forum and everyone being friendly you can learn a lot. I had my 04 A6 for 2 months before the timing belt went. With their help I have managed to pull the motor out. Fix the motor and get it back in. And I am a first time Audi owner also. I still have a few things to finish up on mine to get it back on the road. But none the less if you can learn and aren't scared then it can be done.
Damn without these forums it would have ran you a good 2000 in labor do all that eh? Nice man
Old 12-04-2014, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2004 so ya c6 right
Nope still C5
Old 12-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can turbos last over 300,000? Stock obviously, whats the code on a reciept when they've been replaced also.

Quick Reply: Just got a 04 A6 2.7t, advice to keep or not