A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Knocking noise from back driver side seat??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking noise from back driver side seat??

Ok, so I have been holding off on posting this question for sometime now thinking that if I listen to this noise I'll figure out where it's coming from and what it is.

While I'm driving, when I turn left or right at a decent speed 20+ I hear this knocking noise coming from the driver side back seat. Now I have dropped the seat down to try and find any moving parts and have checked the car jack in the trunk to see if it's loose, but nothing. I'm starting to wonder if it is the mechanism for the seat belt. I see you can adjust and sort of lock into place the angle at which the seat belt will fall down across the seat or a passenger using it. Moving parts can always fall victim to breaking or causing problems. Could it be something inside of this seat belt unit that is moving from side to side while I'm turning?

Has anyone else heard such a sound or have any thoughts to this?
Old 03-11-2004, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Let your passengers get out of th etrunk and site them on the seat. I know you do not want to wear..

the set out but this is going a bit too far.

Seriously, does it still do it if you have a passenger in that seat. TRy and get someone to sit in the other seat and to listen for the noise while they are right next to the source.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default He he...

Actually I had someone ride in my truck a few weekends ago. We were going to the bars and there were to many of us, so he offered to jump in the trunk. (He was a short guy)

Yeah, placing someone in the back seat while I drive is next on the list.

Thanks.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I want to be in the bar

When your A6 pulls up and you pop the trunk to let people out. I might have to stop drinking at that point.

Can you tell if it's inside or outside of the car. How loud is the noise. Possible upper or lower control arm with too much play? Since its at speed and turning you are applying different lateral pressures to the car therefore stressing the control arms. If they are worn there might be a noise resonating through.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Knocking noise from back driver side seat??

are u sure that the seat back is firmly locked in place? I exprienced the same at one time and that was the issue
Old 03-11-2004, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Knocking noise from back driver side seat??

I've unlocked it and slammed it back into position a few times before driving it again. Noise is still heard.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I want to be in the bar

It was a rather interesting night. I was letting people out of the car while at a stop light. The people behind me were in shock as the person in the trunk was let out of the car. During the ride my friend called used his cell phone while in the trunk to inform us about the comfort of the trunk.

Noise is not loud, soft but very noticable. From what i can tell it sounds like it is coming from the inside of the car.