A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

my first car (audi a6 2.7t)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The turbos are more reliable than many would lead you to believe. Longer if you use high quality synthetic engine oil and change it regularly. Also, do not get on the gas until engine is warm, and don’t shut off engine right after hard turbo use. Let it cool down a couple of minutes before shutting off the engine.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Keep in mind that inexpensive generic scan tools will not read Audi systems very well. They will usually not read ABS system, ESC faults, or transmission issues. Probably the top recommendation is Ross Tech. They sell you a cable to connect your lap top to the car and you get a subscription to their online diagnostic software. Do some research first. Their system is for Windows PC's only. Won't work with Mac's. It isn't cheap but very comprehensive and will look at all the systems on an Audi. I think around $300 for the set-up. Another option is to get together with an independent shop mechanic that can scan it for you. Most of the free scans available at auto parts stores are generic and will only provide scans that read "check engine light" warnings. Other VAG Com scanners are out there but are expensive. One of the hand-held scan tools from MAC Tools uses a VAG module that costs $800 just for the special chip for the tool. Not sure what the tool itself cost but I am sure, a couple of hundred. A final option is to have an independent shop do a scan for you. They will probably have a minimum charge to do this usually based on an hour of computer time based on their labor rate, figure $80-$100.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by clancy
The turbos are more reliable than many would lead you to believe. Longer if you use high quality synthetic engine oil and change it regularly. Also, do not get on the gas until engine is warm, and don’t shut off engine right after hard turbo use. Let it cool down a couple of minutes before shutting off the engine.
Best advice available for not having to pull the engine to service the turbos.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleyguy
Keep in mind that inexpensive generic scan tools will not read Audi systems very well. They will usually not read ABS system, ESC faults, or transmission issues. Probably the top recommendation is Ross Tech. They sell you a cable to connect your lap top to the car and you get a subscription to their online diagnostic software. Do some research first. Their system is for Windows PC's only. Won't work with Mac's. It isn't cheap but very comprehensive and will look at all the systems on an Audi. I think around $300 for the set-up. Another option is to get together with an independent shop mechanic that can scan it for you. Most of the free scans available at auto parts stores are generic and will only provide scans that read "check engine light" warnings. Other VAG Com scanners are out there but are expensive. One of the hand-held scan tools from MAC Tools uses a VAG module that costs $800 just for the special chip for the tool. Not sure what the tool itself cost but I am sure, a couple of hundred. A final option is to have an independent shop do a scan for you. They will probably have a minimum charge to do this usually based on an hour of computer time based on their labor rate, figure $80-$100.
Ross VCDS FTW. I have had mine since 2003 and it has paid for itself many times over, plus has given me knowledge that no shop would give me.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any suggestions on flushing and refilling my transmission fluid ? I have heard that once i refilled tranny i have to start the car and let it shift threw all 5 gears (auto tiptronic ) then top it off again?
Old 02-23-2019, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Transmission fluid change is temperature sensitive. Read up on the procedure before you do it. Check the specs for the proper fluid, mixing or using the wrong fluid will destroy seals and cause major problems.