A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

new 2.7T noise - sunroof - tires - etc

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2001, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 2.7T noise - sunroof - tires - etc

Last weeks discussion on jiggliness and increasing noise in the A6 over time got me listening more closely to my 2000 A6 2.7T. I corrected my tire pressure as I had counseled others to do - big improvement. I also ran some fuel injector cleaner through my gas tank as I had had some rough idling and hard starts in the cold weather - the car *seems* to be running quieter and smoother. The morning temperatures are about the same but night temperatures have come up a bit so I may just be looking at the change in seasons here but it feels better. The car ride feels very good now.

I also started using my sunroof last week. On Saturday I noticed a lot of creaking from the roof in the closed position that definitely wasn't there through the winter. I'm wondering if it isn't sealing up properly. From the outside with the window closed I can push near the seal to the body and get the same creaking sound - a fair amount of flex. My wife's new A4 definitely doesn't do this and I'm pretty sure my car didn't before last week. The sound is like rubber being dragged over metal. It almost seems like the sunroof fit is looser now. I've opened and closed it a few times to see if the problem clears - no luck - and the sealing surfaces show no obvious problems.

Any ideas? Is it possible my roof is not closed all the way for some reason? Is there some sort of lubrication or anti-lubrication that is needed? Does it need a new seal? Anyone seen this?

Peter
Old 04-09-2001, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The sound is exaclty what you described>

the rubber seal of the sunroof rubbing against the metal of the body.
Open the sunroof fully, get some spray silicone lubricant. Spray the lube onto a rag liberally, then wipe the edge of the roof (where the rubber seal meets the body) I used to have a creaking roof (when new) then I lubed the seal and the roof panel, the creaks have been gone ever since.
Repeat this every month or so for good measure.
Aside from this, I have no problems with sealing at all.
Old 04-09-2001, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

any recommendations on the lubricant?
Old 04-09-2001, 08:49 AM

Any silicone-based treatment at the auto supply store that is specifically designed for rubber.
Old 04-09-2001, 09:15 AM

Default I used to have that problem, and it got progressively worse(more)

I brought it to my dealers attention and they said I had a faulty headliner and ordered me a new one. Push up on your light cluster and see if it squeaks. If it does, then you might need to replace the headliner like I did. Will have it done tomorrow at the dealer.

also noticed some ticking noises coming from the center console. It's just probably the rubber rubbing against something up there or the ac vents need to be lubed. We'll see.
Old 04-09-2001, 09:31 AM

NAPA has a Silicon Spray that is water based so you won't have oil collecting dirt