A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

New 2000 2.7t owner with "driving a quattro" question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New 2000 2.7t owner with "driving a quattro" question?

Upgraded seems to small a word, but I just upgraded from a 2001 Saturn LS1 to a 2000 2.7t. Had a 1992 100cs years ago, but electrical problems drove me to Saturn. It's a whole new world at Audi, and I love it! I have been driving the car for a month now and am starting to think it can do more than I have the guts to ask of it, but there is one thing I used to do, in a rear wheel drive car, when I was young, that I would like to try, on the track, if it was safe.

I know how to do this with a rear wheel drive car, but on a quattro, what would happen if I navigated a turn by going into the turn to the point where I should brake, but never let off the gas, just use enough brake to make the turn, then while exiting the turn, ease off the brake and floor it as soon and the curve starts to straighten out,,, Would the quattro try to keep turning the wheels equally while the ABS kept them from locking up? I know if I let up on the gas in a hard turn, the car will try to go straight, but I also know that sometimes you have to slow down,,, can you do slow down with your foot on the gas?

What I think would happen is that the computer would think the front tires were sliding because the front tires cover more distance in a turn, the car should transfer a bit more power to the rear tires to compensate. If I had a couple times to practice, maybe I'd try to use just a bit of parking brake to trick the computer into thinking the back tires are really gripping in the hope I would cause just a bit of oversteer... I think I would be able to carry a lot of speed through a turn, if I did it just right,, but a mistake would probably result in body work,,, maybe not just to the car.

Can you power slide a quattro all the way through a turn? Am I crazy to try? or just ignorant?

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."
- Jimi Hendrix
Old 11-06-2003, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Turn in and braking is going to be the same on AWD as RWD...the difference

is in an AWD car you can get back on the gas much sooner with out the back end stepping out.

Thats why they are so dominant in races, they brake the same, but get out of the corners much faster.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm definately no "pro", but IMHO...

quattro works better by braking hard BEFORE the apex and then getting on the gas all the way round the turn - playing with the go pedal as necessary (if necessary).

I think your own pratice would be best to determine this (on a non-trafficked and non-obstruction-lined bend!).

I'd also love to hear from the "pros" here...
Old 11-06-2003, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: New 2000 2.7t owner with "driving a quattro" question?

I think this is where ESP would come into play. But I don't think the 2000 have it.

Am I correct?
Old 11-06-2003, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New 2000 2.7t owner with "driving a quattro" question?

It doesn't have ESP, but you'd never know it by driving it. The tires don't slip on dry tar.

I am really looking forward to trying the A6 in the snow. I might be the only non-snowmobiler in MN who is looking forward to snow...
Old 11-06-2003, 07:02 AM

Power slide on dry pavement? Not enough power to do it, plus quattro will not let you.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The basic driving "technique" calls for getting all your

braking and down-shifting done in a straight line prior to the 'turn-in" point. Your eyes should already be on the "apex" point of the turn, and your steering input (smooth and surprisingly little) should take your car in a smooth line right past it. As you start your turn-in you can transition from brake back to the power and start to "roll on" the gas as you look past the "apex" to pick up the "exit" point of the turn. Roll on the power smoothly and keep a smooth line all the way to the "exit" point, adding more power as you go.

Your technique will, most likely, allow you to meet "Mr. Understeer" at almost every turn. Remember, a car does not want to turn but continue in it's original direction. We count on the tires to retain traction/grip with the road surface. When the front tires lose grip, they "skid"...UNDERSTEER. To control that, ease off the power, transfering weight to the front tires. If they still skid (car does not "turn in") then straighten/ease the steering while still slowing. When front grip returns, apply more steering to get the car to go where you want.

I have a '00 2.7T...there is no ESP. We ask 6 things of a car: 1) get going 2) keep going 3) go uphill 4) go downhill 5)turn 6) stop. Quattro will help you with no's 1, 2, and 3. It contributes NOTHING to no's 4, 5, and 6. Well, with proper driver training quattro can help you turn, but most instructors consider it to be an "advanced" driving technique.

Join the Audi Car Club of North America. They have many driver-training/safety clinics across the country. Find one near you...I promise it will be the most fun you can have in your car with your pants on. They teach vehicle dynamics, car control, and accident avoidance. These exercises are usually followed by personal instruction on a road course. Our region just finished a 2.5 day "quattrofest" at Portland which featured driving exercises and track time. We give similar events plus auto-crossing and lappping events several times a year. We also offer winter driving clinics...with the cooperation of the snow gods.

Our guest speaker/instructor was Paul Lambert of STaSIS. He gave "e-ticket" demo rides and answered many questions about how he sets up his A4 quattro for the World Challenge Speed series, and how he controls power distribution.

Yes, you can "power-slide" a quattro...it may be fun, and spectacular...but it's not really the "quickest" way thru a turn, and does not use the famous "unfair advantage" that is quattro.

HTH
Old 11-06-2003, 07:07 AM
Craggy Old Man

Default Not a stock A6 but an A6 broke loose all 4 corners at the launch

NOt really apart of all this but I thought it was interesting. Driver was wondering what happened cause the rpms were up and the car was moving to the side!!! That car also corners on rails, it truly is a monster, and you have to be careful how much gas you give it before and at the apex.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Grip will determine if you "slide" or not. The tires and road

surface conditions controll that. The best driver will "balance" or "control" the weight distribution to get the car to do what he/she wants. Quattro will not defeat the laws of physics.

I can get a 115hp 4000 quattro to "slide" under power by weight transfer.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:12 AM
Craggy Old Man

Default I find that I usually stay on the gas and just slightly twitch the wheel to regain some traction

Then continue turning. Its almost unnoticable. I may even slightly lift on the gas but didnt focus in hard enough to really tell.

Quick Reply: New 2000 2.7t owner with "driving a quattro" question?