A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

New Audi Owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Audi Owner

Hey readers, new to the scene.

I bought a 2004 Audi a6 s-line back in June. Got a decent deal on it, due to one of the cv axles needing replacement.

A shop that was recommended by the seller did the work for a relatively low cost.

The car had 114k miles and was overdue for the timing belt/water pump etc, so i took the car to them for this work.

Biggest fkn mistake ive ever made with regard to cars.

I provided them with a decent kit that included quality parts, timing belt, pump, thermostat, etc.

Right off the bat they struggled to start, because they didnt have the cam lock bar. I ended up having to find the tool for them to borrow from another shop. Red flags were starting to go off, and I should have listened to my intuition.

Two days later, i got the car back. They were all smiles and "happy to help."

Within a day, I smelled coolant whenever id drive or after i got out of the ride.

I took it back to them a total of 4 times between July and a week ago, telling them i was losing a quart a week.

The fourth time i showed the owner how much i was losing and he had the fkn audacity to not only say "oh thats not that bad," but when he realized i wasnt leaving, he tells me numerous times how much of a pain in the *** its going to be to work on.

A day later, i get the car back. He claimed he found a hole in the hose leading to the t stat housing. He supposedly replaced it "under warranty." Nice guy, right?

WRONG.

Four days later, i pulled up to my house, engine billowing coolant steam. Lost all of the coolant, huge mess.

I had it towed a few days later to a reputable German auto shop, and they suspected it was the thermostat housing.

Well, they got in there and sure enough, the thing was cracked to hell.

Well, it gets worse. Way worse. When they opened it up, the found what was clearly the stock thermostat. The first shop said they replaced the t stat with the new one i provided them. They not only didnt, they didnt give me that new one back.

Here we have the icing on the dookie. When the tech took off the housing, he noticed oil on one of the bolts. What he found shocked him. He said in 11 years he has never seen this before.

The moron tried to put the one long bolt in one of the two short bolt holes and blew right through the fkn engine block!!!

Engine is, for all intents and purposes, donezo. Kapoot.

This ******* not only lied about the thermostat replacement, kept the new one, misassembled numerous parts that were rubbing the belts, but destroyed my engine. Three month old car, and after thousands, i now have to spend thousands more on a new engine.

Needless to say, the second shop and I took many pics and documented everything. We suspect the other shop knows exactly what they did, but put the stock t stat back in to make it seem like they didnt do this ****, but those parts had never been touched before, according to the previous owner and history report. I also wasnt leaking *** loads of coolant before their work.

Finally, i checed yelp. Out of 17 reviews (theyre new), there were 3 that said these guys are absolute con artists. Apparently they charge people for high end parts like bosch and say such, but then they install crap NAPA parts. They also upcharge people regularly, midway through repairs.

I am organizing documents and witnesses to file a small claims suit against these pieces of filth.

If you are in the Portland area DO NOT give Northwrst Brakes and Undercar your business. They are absolute criminals.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

The long version of "Why I Work on My Audi".
Old 10-05-2018, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

In a nutshell, yep.

I was leary to do so, because this is my first european car, but im no rookie when it comes to auto repair, fabrication etc.

Looks like ill be doing just that, working on my own cars from here on out.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks like attorney time if you want to go that route. At the very least let the local Better Business Bureau know about these hacks.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That is on the plan of attack. I hit them hard on Yelp first, but Im just getting started.

I forgot to mention, I love the car.