A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

No start. No ECM communications?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Default No start. No ECM communications?

I have a 2001 A6 2.7T which I have been under the knife for a bit lately. Car was initially running well, but in need of some maintenance. I decided to do quite a lot this time around as I am fond of the car. It is a manual at a stage 3. After doing quite a lot of work I cannot start the car. It cranks but no fuel and no ignition. First a little background in case it would provide some insight.

I initially send the instrument cluster for service to fix the LCD, which had been bad for years. Got it back and still works. I also changed the steering wheel as the leather on my old one was very worn. Car still started, but I got an airbag alarm I need to get to. After that I changed the timing belt as it was due. This time around I also wanted to service the Chain tensioners as they never had been serviced. I also needed to address some engine leaks on the back so i pulled the CAM's out, replaced the pads and chains. Waterpump and thermostat replaced as well with the usual stuff. Got is all together again and car still started a runs. I apparently misaligned one of the Cams in bank2 by one tick as I got timing errors.

I ended up partly removing timing belt and realigned the CAM's so that both CAM marks lined up well with the cap marker while engine at TDC and the bar on both CAM's. Assembed it. rotated engine twice and checked timing still OK.
After assembling the front, the car will not start.

I have scanned the car for errors and the only culprit I can find is:

01177 - Engine Control Unit
49-00 - No Communications
From the instrument cluster.

There are no errors in the ECM

I tried to clear codes in both ECM and instrument cluster and the 01177 comes back when I try to start the car.

I have searched a bit on this, and most comments points to the ECM.

The ECM is communicating fine with VAGCOM, and I can read all the measurement blocks.

I am looking for some advise on what to do next. The error seems not to be related to the work I have done. I did check the connections on the instrument cluster and the re-seated the ECM connectors. No change.

How to know if it is the ECM or the Instrument Cluster?

The process have taken 6 weeks for me as I only have limited time to work on this, but would really like to see this done.

Car has 255k+ miles.

Old 04-09-2023, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey John apologies I don’t have much help for you I’m sure someone will though but I’m curious as to how it cranks. Does it crank hard and fast like normal or a little slow. Does it feel like it wants to catch and turn over sometimes or not?

Also when is the last time you unplugged the battery. And or changed the battery.

and last question where did you send in your instrument cluster to get fixed?

edit: I see now you said no fuel. You can ignore some of those first questions

Last edited by paperclips43; 04-09-2023 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-10-2023, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 173 Likes on 163 Posts

01177 - Ross-Tech Wiki

seems to indicate that the immobilizer has been removed, or some such thing.
Old 04-10-2023, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I went with a local service in Atlanta. Atlanta Speedometer, and they did a fine job( I think). At least the car started initially and they fixed the LCD. I think I paid $225 for the service.
Old 04-10-2023, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

I looked at Ross-Tech, but did not find any leeds.
Yes I have customer SW in the ECM, but it was downloaded and I have been driving the car three years since.

I am a bit suspicious about the instrument cluster, but I guess I have started the car close to 10 times after I had it serviced before the issue occurred. I would not think they would update the SW to redo the LCD.

Considering sending the ECM to a repair shop.