A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Now that the chip questions have been settled(more)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now that the chip questions have been settled(more)

No they haven't been settled, but I am of the mindset that when I chipped, I would be accepting more rpms, more heat, more stress on the engine.

Therefore the questions stands.

What can we do to at least try to prevent any turbos, chipped or not, from burning out?

I let my CHIPPED car sit for about a minute or two after spirited driving, to let it cool. Does that actually work? I used to have a Celica All-trac turbo back in the day. Turbo blew on that baby!! never found out why, just found out that I should have taken better care of the car.

So should I let my car cool down everytime I drive it because it's chipped? My performance with the chip is outstanding and I wish I would have gotten the EMCS feature so I could switch it off for normal driving to not put all that "stress" on the engine and turbos. But I don't have it.

So how do we, as turbo owners, minimize the risk of blown turbos, chipped or not.

Let's discuss...
Old 04-24-2001, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Cool down probably helps...

My personal opinion is that synthetic oil also helps. One of the current theories on turbo failure is oil starvation. This can happen for a variety of reasons but one of them is oil coking in the turbos when shut down hot. Synthetic will probably eliminate this worry. Synthetic will also flow quicker at cold temperatures. This will get lubrication to the turbos earlier.
Old 04-24-2001, 06:27 AM

Default What about...

I will likely chip mine at 10000 miles, when I go to synthetic oil. Still undecided on which ECU chip, but APR leads over GIAC. Would like GIAC Tip chip, too

1) Better than stock BPVs? Forges (yes, recent problems) or Baileys should provide better protection from overspooling turbos?

2) A freer flowing exhaust? Turbos would spool up faster, and possibly (??) less heat kept in system due to less backpressure?

3) Intercooler mister to keep intake temps low?

4) Higher flow air filter to get more and cooler air into system?

5) What can be done vis-a-vis fuel system to lessen likelyhood of lean condition?

WOuld like more performance, but not if risk of expensive parts damage is likely. I plan to keep this car for a long time....

Mike
Old 04-24-2001, 07:15 AM
JP

Default Along with the cool down and synthetic oil...

I think all turbo engines should be allowed to warm up a little before spirited acceleration. I've owned turbo cars since '86 and have never had trouble with the turbos. I have a slight whine in my '00 2.7 T that started right after my first oil change. From what I've read on this forum and surmised from changes Audi has made, there may be an issue with less than sufficient oil flow in the original version of our turbos. The newer version has a larger oil aperture. It seems these turbos are not able to take even a small amount of abuse without some damage occurring. Owners who have blown a TBB have noticed the increased whine or "siren" from the runaway spin up and subsequent oil starvation from that spin up. The turbo design appears to be able to take much more than even a reputable chip gives it, less one weakness - oil flow. So, we're back to warm up (oil flow), cool down to stop coking (oil flow), and synthetic oil (oil flow). I hope to hear more about this on here.
..../jp
Old 04-24-2001, 07:31 AM

how do you know if your turbo is a newer version?
Old 04-24-2001, 07:33 AM
JP

Good question - anyone know?
Old 04-24-2001, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There has been quite a bit of discussion on the S4 board...

I think the best guess is a 10/00 or later build on the S4's. I'm not sure we can draw the same conclusion on the A6.

If you are interested, try doing a search on the S4 board. I'd do it but there will be a LOT of stuff to look through.
Old 04-24-2001, 02:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Now that the chip questions have been settled(more)

Back in the days when turbo bearings were not water cooled there was a LOT of trouble with coking of the bearings. In fact, turbocharged aircraft manuals (virtually all present aircraft engines are aircooled) still recommend a cooldown period after landing and before shutdown, to let the turbo cool before the oil supply is cut off (when the engine is stopped). The water cooling of the turbo bearing is supposed to eliminate this problem. I think it still may be advisable to take it easy for the last few minutes before shutting down the engine but I doubt that you need to sit idle if you haven't just run your car hard.

Synthetic oil should help since it can take higher temps than mineral oils. All turbine engines use synthetic (and very low viscosity) oils due to the temperatures in these engines.
Old 04-24-2001, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm pretty sure the 2.7T turbos are oil cooled, not water cooled...

I've heard tell of an afterrun oil pump to cool the turbos after shutdown but I haven't seen this substantiated. If anyone knows for sure, let us know.
Old 04-24-2001, 03:50 PM

Default Audi says turbos are watercooled (more)

If you follow the link below you'll see a page out of an Audi publication that was put out when the 2.7T engine was introduced. The English is a bit awkard, presumably because it's a translation from German (if anyone has the original German version of this document let me know, I'd be happy to attempt a better translation).

The document says in part:

"Both exhaust gas turbochargers are watercooled and integrated in the cooling circuit."

It goes on to say:

"Located in the cooling circuit is a electrical coolant pump.
This pump is required as a means of protection against overheating of the coolant under high thermal load, e.g. when the hot engine is turned off."

Some people have interpreted the last sentence to mean that the pump is to protect the coolant, not the turbos, but I maintain that doesn't make sense.

marcos
'00 2.7T<ul><li><a href="http://members.home.com/marcos/audiengine/pages/engine06.htm">http://members.home.com/marcos/audiengine/pages/engine06.htm</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Now that the chip questions have been settled(more)